Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

PIO

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm trying to write/read to and from some PIO. I have read as much as I can find about this topic on the forums and nios wiki but im not having much luck. Ive made a little test program: 

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>#include <stdio.h># include <asm/io.h> 

int main(void) 

printf("writing to port:\n"); 

writew(0xFFFF,0x10402020); //data 

return 0; 

}</div> 

where 0x10402020 is the address of my PIO. The code doesn&#39;t do anything really... ive tried a few other methods, none seemed to work. Can anyone help!?!?!?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need to bypass cache by turning on address bit 31. 

writew(0xFFFF,0x10402020 | 0x80000000); //data 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hippo @ Aug 7 2009, 10:54 AM) <{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=23449)</div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

You will need to bypass cache by turning on address bit 31. 

writew(0xFFFF,0x10402020 | 0x80000000); //data 

- Hippo[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, what does that acually mean?  

Unfortunately that didn&#39;t work. My output port are all set to high no matter what. Also, I have two ports, one output and one bidirectional. Is there a way to change the direction of a port? Or does writew /readw take care of that?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gaz @ Aug 7 2009, 10:16 AM) <{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=23448)</div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I&#39;m trying to write/read to and from some PIO. I have read as much as I can find about this topic on the forums and nios wiki but im not having much luck. Ive made a little test program: 

<div class='codetop'>CODE 

--- Quote End ---  

<div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>#include <stdio.h># include <asm/io.h> 

int main(void) 

printf("writing to port:\n"); 

writew(0xFFFF,0x10402020); //data 

return 0; 

}</div> 

where 0x10402020 is the address of my PIO. The code doesn&#39;t do anything really... ive tried a few other methods, none seemed to work. Can anyone help!?!?!?[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

got it! had to find the correct register to change the direction (can find them in the nios2eds io.h). so doing utw(0xFFFF,(0x10402020+4)) wrote 0xFFFF to the direction register and changed the port to an output. Maybe this will help someone else one day....
0 Kudos