Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Question: yocto boot loader vs boot loader from altera bsp-edtori

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

Any advantages of making use of the u-boot from bsp-editor vs the one from yocto own build? when i read the diagram from rocketboard. for Cyclone V , it showed the -uboot with yocto build. but i remember we still can build from the embedded shell. right? 

See this. 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/avcvgsrd150 

From User 12345
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would say best part is I can do more customization with yocto0boot version.. incase for new comer, the predesigned u-boot from bsp-editor is a entry choice...~

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for me i rather go for yocto as more level of customization than the pre-build version. and most up to date example design are come with custom modification.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both should works. Some might choose U-Boot from bsp-editor as it was available when building Preloader.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, i read some article some said uboot from yocto sometime may exceed the limit 256k, is that true?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there are a lot of additional option you can configure with the yocto uboot, where it is more hassle free when you use the one from bsp-editor as s starter. I believe it is sufficient for normal user .

0 Kudos