Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Trying to use JTAG UART

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hiya 

I'm trying to use the JTAG UART, and the obvious thing that needs to be done is to add 

"C:\altera\72sp3\ip\sopc_builder_ip\altera_avalon_jtag_uart

to the list of include paths. 

However, it seems to be difficult to add a new include path! Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked! This would take me 5 seconds in Visual C++. 

What procedure do I need to follow?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I can add the line: 

# include <altera_avalon_jtag_uart.h> 

to a source file and it compiles, without having to add a search path. I assume the IDE automatically searches the correct paths for the hardware you have defined. In a different project with no JTAG UART defined in the hardware, the# include line fails to compile. Have you added a JTAG UART to your SOPC component? 

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahaa...... 

OK, added the JTAG UART to the system, I can now compile and run the system with the JTAG UART. The UART appears to send characters, however they don&#39;t appear on the "console" window in the IDE. 

However, if I do Run-Debug, and select "jtag_uart" under "Target Connection", I now get an error dialog saying "The NIOS II Terminal communication device &#39;jtag_uart&#39; does not exist in the current SOPC Builder system file". 

Closed and restarted the NIOS IDE, then in the debug dialog, I used "Load JDI File". That seemed to overcome the previous problem, now on the console the following appears: 

nios2-terminal: There are no JTAG UARTs available which match the --device and 

nios2-terminal: --instance options you provided. 

Hmmmm.
0 Kudos