Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

niosv-download error reading MISA

BB_NGC
Beginner

When trying to download an .elf file using the niosv-download command, the Open On-chip Debugger exits with a "Failed to read MISA from hart 0" message.  Any idea what this is telling me? 

I can successfully download elf file to the same Agilex when programmed with a different design, so I know the physical connections, etc. are OK.  Full log below:    

BB_NGC_1-1685663304056.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

The error seems to indicate on the OpenOCD version that causes the issue. Are you able to track which version you are using?

May I know the Quartus version that you are using. Could you try downloading elf with the latest Quartus version (22.4/23.1) to see if the errors can be eliminated.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly,Jialin

0 Kudos
BB_NGC
Beginner

Hi KellyJialan,

Thanks for responding.  I'm using Quartus v22.4 and it's telling me OpenOCD is 0.11.0-R22.4.

Note that I'm successfully downloading an elf on a different design using these same versions and procedures.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Could you try to use an older version(0.11.0 and below) to download elf for the example design that was unsuccessful. This is the only workaround for now.

It is a known bug by Intel that download elf is unstable on NIOS V and works for older OpenOCD but not newer version.

Hope to hear on your findings.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any feedback on your attempt to try using an older Open OCD version to compile and download the elf file?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Are there any further help needed from my end? Were the feedback provided useful to you?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
BB_NGC
Beginner

Thanks Kelly,

I was away last week and will next look into the OpenOCD suggestion you provided. 

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for notifying, I will await your response to see how we can further discuss any issues you face.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your end whether this solution or feedback provided is helpful and you managed to find a workaround?

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
BB_NGC
Beginner

This turned out to be an addressing issue.  Once I changed my address map to the correct JTAG/UART address the nios-download operation was successful.  It had nothing to do with OpenOCD versions.   

0 Kudos