Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

"Speeding"SPI

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm developing an application based on Nios II and I'm using an SPI slave linked to 

an External Master. 

The code is: 

#define SPI_MASK_STATO          0x01F8 void handle_SPI_interrupts(void* context, alt_u32 id)   /* Gestore SPI slave 1 */ {  alt_u8         ValLetto;          //volatile int* StatusSPI_ptr = (volatile int*) context;          /* RICEZIONE */    if(IsSpiRXRdy())    {      /* LEGGI DATO */      ValLetto = spiRead(SPI_BASE);      _BufferRxSPI = ValLetto;                  if(_NrxSPI < (LEN_BUFFER_SPI-2))            {        _NrxSPI++; /* Overflow protection*/      }      else      {        /* Non incremento piu&#39; il contatore ... */      }    } /* Rx Ready */    /* Resetto la flag */  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_SPI_STATUS(SPI_BASE, 0);     } alt_u8 IsSpiRXRdy(void) {  alt_u8 RetVal;  alt_u16 StatoRegistro;    RetVal = FALSO;    StatoRegistro = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_SPI_STATUS(SPI_BASE) & SPI_MASK_STATO;      if(StatoRegistro & ALTERA_AVALON_SPI_STATUS_RRDY_MSK)  {    RetVal = VERO;  }           return(RetVal);   } alt_u8 spiRead(alt_u32 base) { /* tutti i controlli sui registri sono a carico della funzione chiamante */  alt_u16 Data16;  Data16 = IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_SPI_RXDATA(base);                  return (alt_u8)Data16; } 

Master drives the NiosII Slave SPI at 1MHz. 

The main problem is that the link of the speed, due to IRQ overhead in handling Rx incoming 

byte, is about 1/2kHz. 

If I want the link runs, master must send its byte at a very "very" slow rate ... 

but it can be so slow, aren&#39;t you? 

What have I miss? 

Is there a way to speed up the SPI overall link ... 

Thanks in advance, 

M.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you want high throughput you would need to resort to using a polled implementation. Using polling I think I was able to get the SPI master and slave talking to each other at 10MHz however that was the only thing Nios II was doing in my system and I remember having to put delays in. 

The problem you are seeing is similar to if you have a timer that interrupts the processor at a high frequency. The processor ends up spending it&#39;s time jumping in and out of the ISR instead of performing real work. 

If the external processor --> SOPC Builder protocol is not complicated then perhaps you can implement a SPI slave component that masters Avalon. That way you don&#39;t have any software impact on your throughput. Now SPI doesn&#39;t have any flow control so you have to be careful that you don&#39;t overflow the SPI slave in that case (for example if the master port can&#39;t talk to the memory it&#39;s stuffing due to arbitration).
0 Kudos