OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Are atomics supported or not?

peastman
Beginner
I've just begun testing my code under Intel OpenCL, and I've found what appears to be a bug. If I queryCL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS, it returns the following:

cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_icd cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomicscl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_intel_printf cl_ext_device_fission cl_intel_exec_by_local_thread cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_intel_dx9_media_sharing

Notice the third one listed:cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics. But when I try to compile a kernel that uses that extension, it gives the following warning:

:9:61: warning: OpenCL extension 'cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics' is not supported - ignoring

So is it really supported or not? This is on Windows 7, with an Ivy Bridge processor and using the CPU device.
Peter
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Brijender_B_Intel

Hi,
which device are you checking for - CPU or HD4000?

Just curious, do you have a usecase to use global atomics? I have not seen many people using it.
thanks

0 Kudos
peastman
Beginner
It's on the CPU. Yes, I use global atomics extensively.
Peter
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel
Hi Peter,

What driver version and SDK are you using. Using the latest SDK and driver (both internal)I couldnt reproduce the warning.

Thanks,
Raghu
0 Kudos
peastman
Beginner
The graphics driver is 8.15.10.2696. The SDK version is 2.0.

Peter
0 Kudos
peastman
Beginner
Do any Intel engineers read this forum? Is there a better place to ask questions?

Peter
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel
Sorry for the delay in responding. Our engineers were buried in other tasks.

I found out that we do support atomics but I am trying to find out why the warning is generated. Other than the warning do you see incorrect behavior using atomics?

Thanks,
Raghu
0 Kudos
peastman
Beginner
Thanks. Aside from the warning, it appears to be working.

Peter
0 Kudos
Guy_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Peter,
Sorry again for the delay.
This atomic extension became a core feature since OpenCL 1.1, and that's why you do not need to use the extension pragma on our product, whichcomplies with theOpenCL 1.1 specification.

Thanks,
Guy Benyei

0 Kudos
EvgeniyPeshkov
New Contributor I
HiGuy,
Sorry, but in my opinion it doesn't solve the problem with generated warnings. According to OpenCL 1.1 specification this atomic extensions must be supported by all devices that support OpenCL 1.1 C to provide backwardscompatibility. In other case you can not use programs written in OpenCL 1.0 C using extentions that became a core features in later versions of OpenCL. So it'sdeviation from standard.
By the way enablingcl_intel_printf extension causes warning too. See this thread for more informationhttp://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=106028
0 Kudos