OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Code Builder 2015 (Ubuntu Linux)

andrea_d_
Beginner

Hi Folks.

I installed Intel Code Builder on my Ubuntu 14.04. Installation was successful, as reported by installation script.

Now, how I can use it? I cannot find any executable for it in my binary directories, and Code Builder manual DOES NOT mention how to launch it. Same story for its release notes.

I would be perfectly satisfied even using just the runtime included in Code Builder, that is, writing OpenCL code with a text editor and running it on my Xeon E3-1246v3 integrated GPU (no specific need for an IDE).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

I think you need to run KernelBuilder64 for UI version or ioc64 for command line version. For an OpenCL sample check this out https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/caps-basic - you should be able to build it and run it (Linux sample).

0 Kudos
andrea_d_
Beginner

Thanks. I built capbasic sample, the following is part of its output:

Number of available platforms: 2
Platform names:
    [0] Intel(R) OpenCL [Selected]
    [1] Experiment Intel Gen OCL Driver
Number of devices available for each type:
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU: 1
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 0
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR: 0

It seems the integrated GPU is not available for OpenCL. Can you tell me why? (I have no video card other than integrated p4600/p4700 on my workstation).

Second question: I expected to see a call to ioc64 in the capbasic makefile, but it just calls g++ -lOpencl. May I ask why?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrea,

Ubuntu 14.04 is not a supported platform for integrated graphics driver. We support SLES and CentOS, and you will need a driver that comes with the Media Server Studio for Linux package. Someone online posted a workaround on how to use SLES or CentOS packages for an older version of Media Server Studio with Ubuntu, but I wasn't able to replicate their steps with success.

For Ubuntu, the proven if not ideal way is to go with Beignet driver, which you probably already installed.

You don't need ioc64 to run or build capbasic: ioc64 is an offline compiler for OpenCL, but OpenCL is capable of online compilation, so you don't need ioc64 unless you are precompiling your kernels. For more on that, please see my tutorial here https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-spir-for-fun-and-profit-with-intel-opencl-code-builder

0 Kudos
andrea_d_
Beginner

Thanks for your detailed answer. 

I'll try with beignet. Also, your tutorial will be useful.

0 Kudos
Yonghong_Y_
Beginner
Thanks for the info. I am able to follow the steps and make the capbasic example working. However, it shows OpenCL 1.2 (not 2.0), anything wrong? I installed the ubuntu version from https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-code-builder-for-opencl-api. btw. the whole opencl website from the intel is pretty confusing (i am beginner) and it took me two hour to figure what I should install as I want simple command line compiler/library to work on. Number of available platforms: 1 Platform names: [0] Intel(R) OpenCL [Selected] Number of devices available for each type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU: 1 CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 0 CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR: 0 *** Detailed information for each device *** CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU[0] CL_DEVICE_NAME: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4870HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE: 1 CL_DEVICE_VENDOR: Intel(R) Corporation CL_DEVICE_PROFILE: FULL_PROFILE CL_DEVICE_VERSION: OpenCL 1.2 (Build 43) CL_DRIVER_VERSION: 1.2.0.43
0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Yonghong,

OpenCL 2.0 is currently not supported on any Linux OSes. It is in the works, though.

Agree on the confusing OpenCL site: we are in the process of overhauling the website.

0 Kudos
Yonghong_Y_
Beginner
Hi Robert, Thanks for your information and quick replies. glad to know that you are working on the website. Yonghong
0 Kudos
Yonghong_Y_
Beginner

sorry I meant to post here: 

Robert, 

I did the media studio installation on Ubuntu 14.10 for Xeon E3-1286 v3, capsbasic shows CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 1 when I run in desktop environment, but when I run in remote shell (ssh), it shows the following CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 0. I guess that the video kernel module is not loaded, thus the support of Opencl for GPU. If that is the case, what is the driver module name from media studio? I unfortunately cannot duplicate the environment by myself to look for the module. Or any other problem that I should look into. Thanks

Number of available platforms: 1

Platform names:

[0] Intel(R) OpenCL [Selected]

Number of devices available for each type:

CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU: 1

CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 0

CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR: 0

*** Detailed information for each device ***

CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU[0]

CL_DEVICE_NAME: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1286 v3 @ 3.70GHz

0 Kudos