OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Driver and SDK installation (without sudo)

daniel_q_
Beginner

Hi, i'm trying to Getting Started with OpenCL (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/sdk-for-opencl-gsg) and I've to install it on a PC with an account without sudo privileges. Is it posible? 

I read the notes, guides and releases notes but they always occupy sudo in some parts, for example, in driver installation like:

mkdir intel-opencl
tar -C intel-opencl -Jxf intel-opencl-r4.0-BUILD_ID.x86_64.tar.xz
tar -C intel-opencl -Jxf intel-opencl-devel-r4.0-BUILD_ID.x86_64.tar.xz
tar -C intel-opencl -Jxf intel-opencl-cpu-r4.0-BUILD_ID.x86_64.tar.xz
sudo cp -R intel-opencl/* /
sudo ldconfig

How can I configure properly that?

Note: I can install correctly all in my Laptop with "sudo" permissions :)

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paul_K_Intel1
Employee

Hi Daniel,

Installation and use of the Intel OpenCL GPU driver will require root permissions at two steps.  First, since a patched version of a default Linux kernel must be compiled, installation requires root permissions.  Second, the Khronos ICD client library, libOpenCL.so, searches the directory /etc/OpenCL/vendor for all *.icd files, so creating the intel.icd configuration file also requires root permissions (this is the step your post mentioned).  (Any OpenCL vendor that use an unmodified, Khronos client library will also have this same requirement for their configuration file.)

Although installation using our documented steps is the only method we support, it is possible to limit your configuration to the Intel CPU OpenCL driver by downloading and modifying the client library available on github.com at

By altering the vendorPath in icd_linux.c to a non-privileged directory, compiling a new libOpenCL.so library, replacing the Khronos version supplied in the Intel SDK, and properly setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the user-account (or current environment) level will eliminate the need for the ldconfig step.  The GPU OpenCL driver, libigdrcl.so, should be removed since the Linux kernel wouldn't have the proper patches.  Using the strace utility is highly recommended to uncover any issues.

My recommendation, however, is to obtain the necessary sudo permissions to your installed OS.

Regards

0 Kudos
daniel_q_
Beginner

Hi Paul :),

Thanks for your response and your recommendations. That sounds so troublesome for a newbie in the field XD, but in some moment maybe I will try that. By the moment I will request root permissions then (like in my own machine).

Regards

0 Kudos
Romero__Marcos
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Can you please give more information on how to do this?

Regards

0 Kudos