OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

HD4000+OpenCL: do I need to connect monitor, do I need GPU-enabled chipset?

alex-tutubalin
Beginner
My i7-3770K is just ordrered, I have no it on hand now and unable to try myself yet.

The questions are

1) Do I need to connect monitor to internal graphics port to use OpenCL on GPU part of Sandy Bridge? Or drivers will load either I've no monitor connected to it. OS is Windows7 x64

2) I have motherboard with P67 chipset. So, I've no internal GPU-related settings in BIOS (enable/disable, GPU frequencies).
Will OpenCL work on HD4000 on this M/B? Do I need to change it to something with GPU features enabled (Z77 chipset or so) ?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,

>>>1) Do I need to connect monitor to internal graphics port to use OpenCL on GPU part of Sandy Bridge? Or drivers will load either I've no monitor connected to it. OS is Windows7 x6
Yes, you will need to connect your display to the internal graphics display port on Ivy-Bridge. Windows 7 x64 is supported.

0 Kudos
Sarayu_C_Intel
Employee

>>>2) I have motherboard with P67 chipset. So, I've no internal GPU-related settings in BIOS (enable/disable, GPU frequencies).
Will OpenCL work on HD4000 on this M/B? Do I need to change it to something with GPU features enabled (Z77 chipset or so) ?

No, OpenCL on GPU won't work ifyou have a Sandybridge.

0 Kudos
lcf
Beginner
Is it hardware or software limitation? Video output shouldn't be needed to perform OpenCL computation on GPU part, isn't it? Would it be possible (with proper OpenCL driver, for example) to use HD3000 built-in into i5-2500K to perform OpenCL computations on P67-based motherboard? Or it's beyond software thing?
0 Kudos