OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

How to install Intel OpenCL SDK to use it on Visual Studio Community 2015

Javier_C_1
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to compile a simple example to learn how OpenCL works and I don't know how to install the SDK to have it available on Visual Studio Community 2015. I already downloaded the Intel OpenCL SDK 2016 R2 6.1.0.1600.

What's the next step to see the OpenCL template on Visual Studio when creating a new project? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

If you've got the SDK installed and a recent graphics driver, and you can see that the Intel display adapter is active from the device manager, you can start a visual studio project.

Basically, just file->new->project.  If OpenCL integration has installed properly you should see an 'OpenCL' option under templates/Visual C++.

More details are here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/539292

0 Kudos
Javier_C_1
Beginner

The problem is that I do not see any CodeBuilder or OpenCL template under Visual C++. I reinstalled the SDK and nothing changed (I also repaired it but it did not get any better). There must be something else missing... but I do not know what :(

Edit: I added a screenshot to show what it looks like.

0 Kudos
varunika_g_
Beginner

Hi, 

I'm facing the same issue. I do not see any OpenCL or Code Builder options in the properties. This is after installing the OpenCL SDK R3.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

OpenCL SDK Code Builder is expected to work with Visual Studio community edition.

All you should need to do is 1) install Visual Studio, 2) install OpenCL SDK, 3) accept in the popup from the firewall asking whether to allow the tools to start a TCP server for the first run with CodeBuilder.

If this doesn't work, could you provide more info?

• Type of processor
  • Version of Windows
  • Driver version
  • Any outputs during install or first startup 
0 Kudos