OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Instalation Intel System Studio 2019 - OpenCL Issue

Micha_M_
Beginner

Hi,
     I installed Intel System Studio 2019 on windows platform.
     Running Visual Studio 2015 the following error pop up:
     "API Initialization failed:
     Failed to find intel OpenCL platform on local host".
     How can I resolve this issue?
     I have a licence for one instance of Intel Visual Studio 2019,
     Can I use the same registration to install Intel Visual Studio 2019 on a 
     second computer?
     Please advice.
     Best Regards,
     Micha

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi MicahM,

Thanks for sharing the issue.

To summarize considerations:

Detail:

Microsoft Visual Studio* has a plugin interface used by Intel­® System Studio 2019: OpenCL™ Tools. Upon load, the plugin will interrogate OpenCL runtimes that enable OpenCL capable hardware on an Intel based system.

Typically, the feedback you observed indicates OpenCL runtimes are not available on that system as configured.

Actions:

• Installing an Intel® Graphics Driver for a system that has Intel® Graphics hardware provides both CPU and Graphics OpenCL implementations.
  • Reinstall will also attempt to place needed OpenCL references in the system registry.
  • Try your system vendor's website for an updated graphics driver. Vendors repackage the Intel® Graphics Driver. Vendor provided packages may be required to keep support status from the vendor.
  • Otherwise, users can obtain the graphics driver from downloadcenter.intel.com.
  • It may be useful to check if Intel® Graphics hardware has been disabled in the system bios.
    • Systems that do not have built in graphics can consider using the Intel® CPU Runtime for OpenCL™ Applications. This CPU Runtime is built in with the developer tools installer. Look for a checkbox at Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4: OpenCL™ Tools install time.
  • Reinstall Intel® System Studio 2019: OpenCL™ Tools Update 4 as it has some compatibility fixes. Notably with the new default DCH designated graphics driver types.
  • Consider the manual insttructions in this post.
  • Try an alternate interrogation application to see if runtimes are deploy correctly, separate to do with the SDK... One example is clinfo which has a precompiled .exe for Windows* OS.
  • VS 2015 is supported... I'd recommend sticking with that.

Questions for feedback:

• What CPU model does the development system have?
    • Can you please provide the details listed at the forum post here?

Thanks for the interest,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Thanks for the fast response.

Below I provide the System Information:
    Operating System:   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build  1809 
    Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 630  
               Installed Drivers    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\igdumdim64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\igd12umd64.dll
               Driver Version    25.20.100.6618
               Driver    c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\igdkmd64.sys (25.20.100.6618, 16.15 MB (16,936,496 bytes), 3/26/2019 8:43 AM)
    Registry: 
       Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors
          C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_520ffd05714dab67\IntelOpenCL64.dll
          IntelOpenCLProfiler.dll   

I use "Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer" to install the appropriate graphics driver.
    CLInfo (AMD verstion) detects Intel CPU and IGPU.
    Also my OpenCL application works well with these devices.
    Attached CLInfo information.

I installed Intel System Studio 2019 Update 3.
    And recently I updated to Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4. 

Can I use the same serial number to install system studio 2019 on another computer?
    How to ensure Graphics device is enabled?
    Do you advice to uninstall Intel system studio 2019 and reinstall Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4?

Please advice.

Thanks,
    Micha

0 Kudos
    Michael_C_Intel1

Hi MichaM,

I recommend this faq on licensing and multiple system deployment. There is also sections 2, 3, and 4 of the EULA... it speaks to differing license and deployment types. If you have further questions or are looking for feedback on licensing I recommend posting to the Intel® System Studio forum.

Graphics device enablement can be observed in the display adapter section of device manager in windows and at the system bios screen. The system bios screen will be different for different system vendors.

Was clinfo information attached to this thread? I don't see any attachments. Can you share again?

If you are using Intel first party graphics drivers, not the latest package for Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU is 26.20.100.6890 per the downloadcenter.intel.com.

Unfortunately, it's still not obvious where the discrepancy is for the system. OpenCL programs functioning is suggestive that the issue is likely with the developer tools as installed, as opposed to the driver. For a quicker path to a solution I recommend reinstalling Update 4 of OpenCL™ Tools and the Graphics driver package. As mentioned earlier, Update 3 is incompatible with DCH drivers... The driver resident per your report is a DCH driver. It may be a good idea to double check that Update 4 was installed as intended by installing it from scratch.

I moved to Update 4 on Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ with the 26.20.100.6890 driver and VS2017 without difficulty very recently. I also used the software updater to update.

Is vs2015 at the latest revision? What version is it? If you still get the same result, I'll deploy vs2015 to see if I can reproduce on the above system.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Hi Michael,
    First, thank you for the fast response.

My Graphics device is enable in Windows device manager.
    You recommend "reinstalling Update 4 of OpenCL™ Tools and the Graphics driver package". 
    Do you mean first uninstall Intel System Studio and then reinstall Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4? 
    the complete software or just OpenCL tools?

Attached clinfo output.

Thanks,
    Micha

0 Kudos
    Michael_C_Intel1

Hi MichaM,

Generally, a clean install of the suite and graphics driver can be good to allow the installer the opportunity to seat necessary system registry elements.

I recommend graphics driver first then as clean of an install as feasible for Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4 components.

I moved to Update 4 on Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ with the 26.20.100.6890 driver and VS2017 without difficulty very recently. I also used the software updater to update.

Clarity edit for the above... I used Intel® Software Manager Utility to update the developer tools. 

Can you comment on when you did the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer" update? It's surprising to see a March driver used when newer ones are available... I'm speaking with some folks who manage that system now. If you try today, does it deploy the latest driver thats available manually through downloadcenter.intel.com: 26.20.100.6890 for that system?

Again, if you can try it with the latest components for that system I want to see if I can reproduce with VS2015 and take it from there. It's useful for us to be attentive to this feedback given the recent public release of the 2019 Update 4 tools.

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

I also Installed Visual Studio 2017 the same error occurs. Now I have on my computer 
         3 Visual studio compilers: 2015, 2017 and 2019.
         I don't know if it is relevant but I installed Intel System Studio 2019 update 4 on windows platform with 
         only x64 selection (I don't need the 32 bits version).     
         I just downloaded intel_sdk_for_opencl_applications_2019.4.314.
         Is it possible to install Intel System Studio 2019 update 4 and intel sdk for opencl applications 2019 on the same windows machine?     
         Does these two software work well together? 
         Please Advice.
        Thanks,
         Micha

0 Kudos
    Sergey_I_Intel1
    Employee

Hello Micha!

This issue can appear if something is wrong with QT or Boost dependencies.

Do you have your own libs of QT or Boost on your machine?

To be sure, you can use DependencyWalker on "KernelBuilderAPI.dll", which is located in "OpenCL\sdk\bin\x86" at install directory.

If some of dependencies are marked red, please, let us know.

Best regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Hi Sergey,

I don't use QT but I use boost via VCpkg.
    The error occurs when visual studio (2015/2017) is loaded, and before connecting to any project.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Micha

0 Kudos
    Sergey_I_Intel1
    Employee

I guess, this boost could be the problem.

Can you try to disable this boost and try to open VS2015?

If this issue still stay - please try to use Dependency Walker.

Best regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos
    Michael_C_Intel1

MichaM,

Thanks for the continued interest.

Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Application 2019 is a subcomponent of Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4. If you have Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4, it is selectable with label  "OpenCL™ tools" at install time. Installing both the suite and the standalone is not needed or advised. Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4 is typically preferred because it has tools that assist in development.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thanks.
    Does Intel® System Studio 2019 Update 4 include standalone tools on windows 10 x64 (Not related to Visual Studio)
    for debugging OpenCL kernels?

Best regards,
    Micha

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Hi Sergey,  
    I Disabled using all libraries via VCpkg (boost included) and the error still occurs.
    Attached the errors reported via DependencyWalker on "KernelBuilderAPI.dll".

How I can progress to solve these issues?
    Please advice,
    Best regards,
    Micha

0 Kudos
    Michael_C_Intel1

MichaM, 

Yes it does. It contains ioc64. Typically, ioc64 is launched within the MSVS GUI to compile kernels for CPU and iGFX targets... It gives compilation feedback. However, it can also be used from the command line. See ioc64 -help for details. The tool can also emit built kernel programs for storage on disk. These programs can be consumed by an OpenCL implementation at a later tim.

The standalone installer of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2019 is not intended to be used in tandem with Intel® System Studio 2019: OpenCL™ Tools component. They are intended to provide the same functionality. The packaging offering is different as a matter of deplyment convenience.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
    Michael_C_Intel1

Reference for Intel viewers: OPENCLSDK-5611.

0 Kudos
    Micha_M_
    Beginner

Hi Michael,
         Thank you very much. Indeed ioc64 is a great tools and I use it.
         But I need tools for runtime debugging of OpenCL kernels on windows 10. 
         Currently the only solution that I have is to use printf in CL-files.
         Please advice,
     Thanks,
     Micha

0 Kudos