OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1275 v5

joshua_s_2
Beginner

Hi, I currently have a Xeon E3-1275 v5.  I was trying to figure out 1) Is the iGPU on here supported via the latest OpenCL 2.0 (I only see up to v4 mentioned in the release notes) and 2) can I use it with anything earlier than kernel 4.4.  Would OpenCL 1.2 work with this Xeon iGPU?  With what I have running right now, CapsBasic fails with an error of -1001 with OpenCL 1.2 (I have found some references online saying fixing an ini file in /etc/OpenCL/vendors may help with this).  With Kernel 3.10 and OpenCL 2.0, I get a Seg Fault with CapsBasic.  I am currently in the process of upgrading to kernel 4.4 following the directions, but ideally my final system would not need to run on 4.4.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The OpenCL version here should support Xeon e3-1275 v5: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_linux_driver

This release is based on the 16.5 branch, supporting Broadwell and Skylake.  (Xeon v3/v4 in the release notes should be v4/v5.) 

The processor is an important part of getting Gen graphics GPU OpenCL and Media SDK to work.  Other pieces must be there too.  You need a chipset and motherboard capable of hosting processor graphics.  BIOS must enable processor graphics too.

You can check if the GPU is visible to your OS (which means your system meets all of these requirements) by checking 'lspci -nnv -s 0:02.0'.  If you see an Intel graphics adapter and i915 loaded as a graphics driver your machine is ready for install.

The patches used by the install are prepared for the 4.4 kernel.  All of the patches may not be necessary for your application.  You can port  the patches to earlier kernels but this is a manual process and our ability to help with it is very limited.  

0 Kudos