OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

KERNEL BUILDER IDE for Performance Analysis: Thread utilization, Execution units occupancy

Manish_K_
Beginner

Hi,

How the HW thread level utilization helps in analyzing performance?

How execution occupancy is calculated?

Full kernel execution statistics provide data by varying the local work group size.

How should I interpret this data and do the code changes? Can anyone give me an example?

Any help is appreciated!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

In general, you want to make sure that all your hardware threads are doing useful work during kernel execution. Let's say you have an Intel Processor with 24 Execution Units (EUs). Each EU has 7 Hardware threads. Each HW thread is capable of executing SIMD8, SIMD16 or SIMD32 instructions, which means you can pack 8, 16, or 32 work items onto a thread depending on the amount of resources consumed by the work item (e.g. private and local memory). At full occupancy, for a kernel compiled in SIMD16 mode (typical size for a regular kernel), the number of work items executing on GPU will be 24*7*16=3024.In reality, over kernel lifetime, some HW threads are underutilized for a variety of reasons: 1) kernel takes some time to ramp up its execution; 2) kernel takes some time to ramp down its execution; 3) when kernel is fully ramped up, only a fraction of all available HW threads could be occupied, e.g. only 4 out of 7 threads for each EU, if there is not enough work.

You can view my videos on various ways of improving occupancy here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimizing-simple-opencl-kernels

For more on occupancy metric see links below:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/496406

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/37/8a/siggraph2014-arkunze.pdf - slide 21

On varying local size of the kernel: you can rely on runtime to select local group size for you or you can use kernel analyzer to run an analysis for you and recommend a specific local group size, which typically gives you better results. You can then hard code that size when enqueueing the kernel. Note, however, that the best work group size could also vary by the size of your input data, so perform your experiments for a range of input data sizes you are planning to support: based on the results of your analysis you may code work group size selection based on input size.

0 Kudos
Manish_K_
Beginner

Thanks a lot Robert!!

I watch your videos and learned about its profiling.

Now I can see there are lot of stalls in the code.

In my code I am not able to see the difference in performance by using Global memory as well as the local memory for the same test vector and code. Can you tell what could be the reason here ?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Manish,

The difference between Local and Global Memory on our architecture is almost non-existent, and performance really depends on proper access patterns (Local memory is highly banked 4 bytes per bank, global memory is accessed in 64 byte cache lines). Consider the following diagram - iin some cases there is literally no difference between local and global memory:

Memory Access Patterns.png

0 Kudos