OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

One big reason to implement support for MacOS X!

rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner
Hi,
I was thinking about MacOS X support and I believe you must support because basically Apple OpenCL CPU implementation has a big limitation it only admits workgroups of 1 element so really can't execute programs optimized to be run on GPUs where workgroups are minimally some multiple of wavefront size (AMD speaking) or warp size (Nvidia speaking) so tipically >=128 at least..
Also lots of CUDA code avaiable when ported to OpenCL will not run on MacOSX CPU backend for this very reason..
this renders the backend useless so I hope you port the backend..
Also you have advanced autovectorization,etc..
As in Macos X there isn't any ICD model I wouldn't have any objection linking to a Intel OCL library if that allows to use your efficient implementation..
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Thanks for sharing this great feedback with us.

Intel does not comment on features and availability of third party products. We are aware of Apple plans and evaluating support on our CPU-based platforms for different Operating Systems. We suggest you speak directly with any such third party for direct comment.

0 Kudos