OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

OpenCL availability for E3950

eric_d_
Beginner

Hello,

we are currently trying to use OpenCL with plateform described here below:

• Ubuntu 14.04LTS
  • Intel Atom E3950
  • Intel driver for OpenCL - intel-opencl-xxx-r4.0-59481.x86_64
  • intel graphic driver i915 v 4.7.10.intel.r4.0

The problem is that the OpenCL run time does not detect (found) the GPU device (while it detects a plateform).

Is the current OpenCL driver already compatible with this platfrom (quite new one - Apollo Lake) ?

PS: Is there a way to post private messages ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

While it may be possible to get OpenCL to work on this processor, it is not on the supported HW list for SRB4.  

• Intel® 5th, 6th, or 7th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • Intel® Celeron® Processor J3000 Series with Intel® HD Graphics 500 (J3455, J3355), Intel® Pentium® Processor J4000 Series with Intel® HD Graphics 505 (J4205), Intel® Celeron® Processor N3000 Series with Intel® HD Graphics 500 (N3350, N3450), Intel® Pentium Processor N4000 Series with Intel® HD Graphics 505 (N4200)
  • Intel® Xeon® processor v4 or v5 with Intel® Graphics Technology (if enabled by OEM in BIOS and motherboard)

Yocto support for OpenCL on Atom is ramping up -- please watch here and the Media SDK forum for news on this topic as it emerges.  You may see more here as well: https://01.org/yocto-bsp-apollo-lake-i

For now, this utility may help you find what is missing: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mss-sys-analyzer-linux

As a backup plan, you could also try the Beignet OpenCL project. 

Private messages can be sent by clicking "send author a message" which you can find right above each forum post.

0 Kudos
eric_d_
Beginner

Thank you for your answer,

I’m wondering why N4200 is supported while E3950 is not, although both have same HD-505 GPU and both are in the embedded family ? Is there any HW difference I missed that may justify this difference in OpenCL support ?

Unfortunately we did not succeed in trying Beignet OpenCL.

Do you know when OpenCL support will be available for Atom Apollo Lake (E3950) ?

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

You are right.  The difference is not at the hardware level, just validation.  

If you can send the output from the script at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mss-sys-analyzer-linux we could check next steps for where to look.  You can use a private message if you like.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I was able to find a similar machine to test and may have found what is blocking you.  As mentioned in the release notes for Pentium/Celeron Apollo Lake, i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 must be added to your grub.cfg file.  After adding this I was able to compile and run OpenCL applications.

0 Kudos
eric_d_
Beginner

We added i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 to grub configuration (etc/default/grub file, update of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT) and checked the /proc/cmdline file.

Unfortunately it did not correct our issue. We checked for an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and also 16.04 LTS.

Did you change something else (like chip firmware or …) ?

Do you see anything else that could be a noticeable difference  ?

Also, here is the answer to your request about the analyzer:

--------------------------
Hardware readiness checks:
[ OK ] Processor name: Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3950 @ 1.60GHz
[ ERROR ] Processor not Xeon or Core. Not supported.
OS readiness checks:
[ ERROR ] No compatible GPU available. Check BIOS settings?

0 Kudos
tony_w_
Beginner

Hi Eric,

I had the same issue as you, i.e. on the E3950 seeing only the CPU and not the GPU when running OpenCL in Ubuntu.. I had to switch to a Yocto build to get OpenCL working. The kernel drivers for the mainline kernels used on Ubuntu are a little bit behind the Yocto kernels in their OpenCL support. I have OpenCL running on the E3950 GPU using a Yocto built image. I used the Yocto built kernel without modification and installed Intel OpenCL SRB4 user space drivers on the Yocto build once it was up and running.

To build the Yocto image, Intel Premier Support had to give me access to their github repositories for Intel Apollo Lake BSP and Intel Apollo Lake Linux. Also be aware the build takes about 1/2 day and 150 GB disk space.

Regards,

Tony

0 Kudos
Tu__Ming-Hsuan
Beginner

Meet the same issue on Intel Celeron J1900. the gpu device can not be detected. Does the official driver supports J1900?

0 Kudos
Tu__Ming-Hsuan
Beginner

Here is the output from analysis tool

Hardware readiness checks:
 [ OK ] Processor name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  J1900  @ 1.99GHz
 [ INFO ] Intel Processor
 [ ERROR ] Processor not Xeon or Core.  Not supported.
OS readiness checks:
 [ INFO ] GPU PCI id     : 0F31
 [ INFO ] GPU description: unknown
 [ INFO ] No compatible GPU available.  Check BIOS settings?
Media Server Studio Install:
 [ OK ] user in video group
 [ ERROR ] libva.so.1 not found.  Check LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains '/usr/lib64;/usr/local/lib'
 [ ERROR ] libva not loading Intel iHD
 [ ERROR ] vainfo not reporting codec entry points
 [ INFO ] i915 driver in use by Intel video adapter
 [ ERROR ] no libdrm include files. Are Intel components installed?
Component Smoke Tests:
 [ ERROR ] no Media SDK include files.  Are Intel components installed?
 [ OK ] OpenCL check:platform:Intel(R) OpenCL GPU FAIL CPU OK

why gpu FAIL?

0 Kudos