OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL: no usable platforms with Ubuntu 14.04 and HD Graphics 5500

Hugues_E_1
Beginner

Hi all,

After a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 + Intel OpenCL SDK 2016 R2 , I still cannot list any OpenCL platform. The clinfo command returns:

I: ICD loader reports no usable platforms

Setup details follow:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4

GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)

OpenCL SDK: installed from the archive named intel_sdk_for_opencl_2016_ubuntu_6.2.0.1760_x64.tgz . After install I do have files under /opt/intel/intel-opencl-1.2-6.2.0.1760

The "uname -a" command returns: Linux user-HP-250-G4-Notebook-PC 4.4.0-42-generic #62~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 23:15:48 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

NOTE: My ultimate goal is to obtain, on this hardware, a Linux-based OpenCL 2.0 setup with support for SVM fine grained buffer and SVM atomics. If this setup requires something else than Ubuntu, I can install any other distribution. Otherwise, if you know that such a setup cannot be obtained at this time with this hardware, please let me know.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

You should be able to get OpenCL to work in Ubuntu 14.04 on this machine, but you will need a driver in addition to the SDK.  There are two ways to get this driver:

From a Media Server Studio Generic install:

(Or you could use the Gold OS, CentOS 7.2, which has a more automated install which only requires updating the i915 module instead of recompiling the entire kernel.)

From the standalone OpenCL 2.0 driver package

0 Kudos
hugues_e_
Beginner

Thanks Jeffrey for the pointers.

I installed the driver from the Media Server Studio, compiling the patched Linux kernel etc. Now OpenCL 2.0 works, but I have no SVM fine grain support. The driver version is 16.5-55964 , the kernel version returned by 'uname -r' is " 4.4.0.intel.r16.5" , so it seems that the installation of the patched kernel did worked.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to get the following features :

• OpenCL 2.0
  • SVM fine grained buffers
  • SVM atomics

on a machine with the following spec:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
  • GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)

Regarding the OS, any flavour of Linux is OK.

Thanks!

0 Kudos