OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Out of memory error from clBuildProgram

Jorge_R_3
Beginner

After adding too many lines to my kernels, clBuildProgram() is returning the error CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE from the driver. clGetProgramBuildInfo() returns the string "Error: out of memory." and nothing else. If I remove enough lines of code from my OpenCL code, the error goes away. If I change the device from CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU to CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU the error goes away. The total number of lines of code in my program is about 900.

Processor: 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

OSX 10.10.5

I'm using whatever comes standard with that version of OSX, I haven't installed anything else, not even XCode.

My problem seems to be identical to that of this person: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/559994

I'm trying to get clearance to post the source code, but in the meantime any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Jorge,

OSX is not the platform we support on this forum: you will need to submit the issue to the Apple folks. However, if you can share your kernel (or send me a private message with the kernel attached) I can try to see if the issue is reproducible on the Windows driver. OSX driver shares some code with Windows driver, but Apple does add some 'special sauce'.

0 Kudos
Jorge_R_3
Beginner

All of my code is here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4205810/deleteme/rccl.tgz

It builds from a bash script, not a makefile or anything. If you can't get it to build that way, you can try just building the kernels on your own. The kernels are in a few separate files, you should be able to just concatenate them into one big file in the following order: shared_structures.h, shared_operators.c, cpoly.cl, jacobi.cl, rc.cl

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Jorge,

Just tested your code on the latest driver on Windows 10: your code builds successfully for both CPU and GPU. So come to the dark side :)

0 Kudos
Jorge_R_3
Beginner

Thanks for the info :)

0 Kudos