OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

VS Memory/Watchlists window content inaccurate during debugging

PCox
Beginner

Using code buiider 1.3.0.92 under windows 7 and VS 2010 sp1....

If  I run a hack kernel like this...

__kernel void test_local()
{
    __local int s_testValue[10][10];
    __local int* rowStartThisThread = &(s_mcuValues[0][0]);

s_mcuValues[0][0] = 5;
}

and set a breakpoint after the setting of the 5, then the VS memory and watchlists don't see the '5' (they only see zeros), however the rowStartThisThread  pointer does show it correctly. Am I making some bad assumptions here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Do you mean kernel like this:

__kernel void test_local()
{
    __local int s_testValue[10][10];
    __local int* rowStartThisThread = &(s_testValue[0][0]);

s_testValue[0][0] = 5;
}

?

What happens if you put the barrier after assigning 5 and observe things after the barrier?

0 Kudos
PCox
Beginner

Hi Robert, thanks for the impressively quick response! Yes sorry I changed the variable names inconsistently at the last minute before posting.

But sigh.

I put a barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE) in, and, yes, it all sprang to life as I would have expected. But I then restored the code back to what it was, only to have it continue working. I really dislike heisenberg faults.....

I can't think of any unaccounted variables in play here (btw I'm only launching a single thread). Meanwhile the problem in the real part of the code continues, with or without a barrier. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos