Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11680 Discussions

10th Gen CPUs RAM compatibility

Dikaiakos
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if a 10th gen core processor would be compatible with DDR4 memory with a lower frequency than the one indicated at the processor's spec sheet. To be specific, I am wondering if a i3 10100 would function well along with 4x 4GB sticks of DDR4 2400mhz memory on a motherboard supporting this ram frequency (e.g. the MSI b460m bazooka)?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

Most systems will automatically detect the slower RAM and configure the processor to work at the DRAM's maximum frequency.   DDR4/2400 has an 18% lower peak transfer rate than the fastest supported DRAM (DDR4/2933), but the maximum sustainable transfer rate is probably only about 15% lower.  Most of the time your system will not be limited by memory bandwidth, so in practice you will see very little difference.  Overall, performance with 16GiB of DDR4/2400 is likely to be better than with 8GiB of DDR4/2933 memory.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

Most systems will automatically detect the slower RAM and configure the processor to work at the DRAM's maximum frequency.   DDR4/2400 has an 18% lower peak transfer rate than the fastest supported DRAM (DDR4/2933), but the maximum sustainable transfer rate is probably only about 15% lower.  Most of the time your system will not be limited by memory bandwidth, so in practice you will see very little difference.  Overall, performance with 16GiB of DDR4/2400 is likely to be better than with 8GiB of DDR4/2933 memory.

View solution in original post