Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14810 Discussions

12700KF - Enabling AES-NI, Windows 11 Pro 23H1

MichaelJC
Beginner

Further more, a best practice to Enable All available instruction sets and security features. And enumerating all possible System Tables, FULL ACPI, DMI,  except ones affected by by the F variant CPU of course.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @MichaelJC

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Could you please provide us with more details about the issue or concern?

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MichaelJC
Beginner

Hi Jose B,

Sorry for my delayed reply.

AES-NI, Hybrid CPU, Secure Memory Encryption, System Firmware Tables, actually populated... To name a few.

I have none of these things... Enabled. I know they are supported however.

How do I go about enabling them.

Thank you,

Michael

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

Thank you for your response.

Let us check the information internally, as soon as we have any updates we will post here.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
MichaelJC
Beginner

Hi Jose B,

Thank you for looking into it.

I understand this to some may look like a brief question, or set of questions.

But I know well that it reality, it isn't. I know a lot of what steps are involved, for the most part, and that the things I am asking for are not simply enabled by clicking a checkbox, it's typically a System Bring Up matter, so maybe that is the best direction for us to go in, but I will leave that up to you.

Suffice to say, these are matters and questions I have been working on for years, since taking the leap from Coffee Lake to Alder Lake shortly after release, and it's been mostly pain, but the glimpses I've had of the platform functioning as intended by Intel, have been enough for me to keep trying.

And if I knew then what I know now, I never would have gone with the F variant on the SKU, I'm not even sure why they exist in today's market, the cost savings, versus what you lose in features, is a major mismatch.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

Thank you for your reply.

Let’s focus on 1 issue/feature at a time to keep everything organized. So, please provide me with as much information as you can (Different CPUs tested, screenshots, error codes, logs, videos, etc.).

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
MichaelJC
Beginner

Hi Jose B,

I've only ever tested the one CPU, 12700KF.

It has been in two different motherboards, first an Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, and now an Asus ROG Z690 Strix-E.

AIDA64 really tells most of the story here, as to what is or is not enabled, and as per the case with Windows, there's some handshaking for lack of a better term, during system bring up, that when certain perquisites and methodology is followed during early UEFI config and the OS installation and Windows simply turns most all of this on for you.

With Windows 10, previous versions that would directly address the hardware, it wasn't as difficult, but with 11, which I have always been using, and HVCI being enabled by default, there's just no chance of it doing what it needs to do, in the same manner that it did before everything was heavily virtualized.

So anyway, that said, I'll include some screenshots of AIDA64's CPUID. Fairly self explanatory, a whole lot of "supported" but very few "Supported, Enabled".

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

Thank you for your response.

Allow us to check that information internally, and as soon as we have any updates we will post back here.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Please check the 12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors Datasheet which includes all the explanation of processor's Security & Reliability features.

For AES-NI, usually it is enabled by default for processor, the way to enable/disable normally is in BIOS, and also we need the application that supports the AES-NI. Here you can have more information about it:

·      Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard Instructions (AES-NI)

·      AES instruction set - Wikipedia

For Secure Memory Encryption, that feature is not listed as a Security & Reliability feature for this 12700KF processor. If you are talking about the AMD Secure Memory Encryption, Intel has the Intel Total Memory Encryption and here is an article for this: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/central-libraries/us/en/documents/white-paper-intel-tme.pdf

For Hybrid CPU and System Firmware Tables, can you provide us with more information?

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

We hope you are doing fine. 

Did the information help? 

Let us know if you still need assistance by providing the details we requested. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello MichaelJC

We hope you are having a nice day. 

We have not heard back from you. So, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards. 

Jose B.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos