Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14719 Discussions

14900K Linux AVX2 Issue

Rishib
Beginner

Hello Community,

Got a bit of a head-scratcher with my setup. I have two SSDs configured for testing purposes: one with Windows 10 and the other with Rhel 8.9. When attempting to set AVX2 to auto or enable and running Prime95 on Windows 10, it downclocks by an offset of 4. However, when I run Mprime (the Linux OS version of Prime95), it doesn't downclock and instead throws a segment core dump error, resulting in test failure. I've even tried resetting the BIOS to optimize default settings, but no luck.

Any ideas what might be causing this hiccup?

CPU- i9-14900K

Mobo- ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO (BIOS Version- 2202)

RAM- Gskill 5200MHz DDR5 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rishib,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rishib,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

The issue you're experiencing with the AVX2 setting and the different behaviours on Windows 10 and Rhel 8.9 could be due to several factors. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. BIOS Settings: Ensure that the BIOS is up-to-date. Manufacturers often release updates that can improve compatibility and performance. If the BIOS is already at the latest version, consider the following settings:

• Disable any overclocking settings, including XMP, to test if the system is stable with default memory speeds.
  • Check for any specific AVX-related settings in the BIOS that might be causing the downclocking or errors.

2. Operating System Differences: The difference in behaviour between Windows 10 and Rhel 8.9 could be due to how each OS handles AVX instructions and power management. Consider the following:

• Update the Linux kernel and system drivers, as there might be patches that address AVX2-related issues.
  • Verify that the power management settings in Rhel 8.9 are correctly configured, as incorrect settings could lead to the segment core dump error.

And also, please check if AVX2 is properly enabled in the BIOS. You can check out our How do I Enable the Intel AVX2 in the motherboard in the Basic Input-Output System (BIOS)? article. 

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Rishib,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the information we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Rishib,

We are checking in with you to know if you have already performed the troubleshooting steps that we have provided or if you have any additional queries. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Rishib, 

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos