Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15008 Discussions

14900k Clock Speeds / Temps

Chally
Beginner

Hi, I recently built my first computer and everything functions as expected.

I am not experiencing any crashes or issues with the CPU, however it never clocks down from 5.5ghz and the highest I've ever seen it get to is 5.6. Intel Turbo Boost is turned on, however for the price I paid I expect this to be able to be power efficient under minimal load.

And just a concern, It tends to sit at 53 degrees on desktop / browsing and I suspect that is pretty hot, however it could be due to it not clocking down. I have a Corsair h150i 360mm AIO cooler, and the CPU doesn't overheat have any errors relating to overheating. It is mounted properly and the thermal paste job was done by Corsair. I am going to re-paste either way though.

All drivers are updated, including the bios. I checked using the assistant for chipset updates and it says everything is up to date.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor III

The not clocking down could be due to having a High Performance power plan selected under Power Options. If you go to Control Panel->Power Options and find this is the case then selecting the Balanced (recommended) option instead should stop this.

0 Kudos
Chally
Beginner
Thanks for the response. Would it still be able to boost up to 6ghz under heavy load?
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor III

The Balanced power plan allows Windows to vary the processor speed between 5% and 100% so it should not affect the ability to boost.

0 Kudos