Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14792 Discussions

14900k: Stress test failures in XTU

John_38
Beginner
Hello,
i have messages that says that my CPU & AVX stress test fail in XTU. No bluescreen. Everything is on Auto/defaults in BIOS except XMP enabled.

I get also failures when i let the XTU AI optimize my CPU.

My aim in the beginning was to undervolt the CPU, but the slightest UV like -20mV leads to Cinebench 2024 to crash and at lower voltages Windows crashes.

But at defaults, auto voltages, CB2024 is running fine, games running good (i guess).

But it feels like something is wrong with CPU or my mainboard, when at defaults the stress tests fail in XTU.

Intel Processor Diagnostics 64bit says everything is normal.

Mainboard: MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 with UEFI from 14.09.2023 (newest)
RAM: DDR4 3600 CL16 2x32GB
GPU: RTX 4090
PSU: Corsair AX1600i

Cinebench 2024 is running fine at 253W, 288W and unlimited power limits at everything else default.

HWinfo reports VID voltages up to 1,5xV at one Core, that differs from time to time which core. Someone said that its really high, especially for E-Cores. Most cores have up to around 1,45V.

At XTU at defaults, also only in the 5 minute test the CPU usage goes down and XTU says later „stress test failed“. At stressing CPU and AVX options. While it doesn‘t throttle by power limit and from time to time thermal throttle, but that‘s normal - the spikes up to 100°C.

I attached my UEFI settings.

At 253W limit the CPU doesn‘t thermal throttle and the power goes only up to 212W around in Cinebench 2024. Didn‘t test yet in XTU.

Greetings,
John

Update: I tried uninstalling XTU, it warned to load the default settings before under Profile > default > show > apply. When i look into advanced tuning i see values from my 12900k that i had before. Seems XTU doesn‘t know that that profile was from 12900k and seems there was leftovers when i deinstalled XTU in the past. I think XTU is the problem hefe, i hope that software didn‘t damage my 14900k because of high voltages or so.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello John_38,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand that the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) is giving errors and may be affecting your computer performance.

I would like to investigate this behavior, I would appreciate it if you share the following information:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Please attach pictures of the errors that you are getting from the Intel® XTU.

3. Just to confirm, did you follow our article with the instructions to uninstall the Intel® XTU?

Also, bear in mind that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of the system and components for additional details.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
John_38
Beginner

Hello Deivid A.,

thank you for your response. I attached the requested files.

I could also reinstall XTU.

I noticed, while stress testing in XTU, that the Processor Cache Frequency goes only up to 4,5Ghz and switches sometimes down to 4Ghz. I don't know if its normal, i saw it has a ratio up to 50x (i guess 5Ghz).

An E-Core had fixed voltage mode, sometimes its a full cluster (4 E-Cores). I also defaulted again (i did not changed anything in UEFI and XTU). When defaulted, XTU sets also powerlimit to "Unlimited" while i choose on the MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 the "Tower Cooler" option with 288W Limit. Though i have no problem with it if it wants unlimited.

One screenshot of XTU is darker, i was there in HDR mode.

Greetings,

John

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello John_38, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello John_38, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the investigation, I would like you to try the following:

1. Load the BIOS default settings.

2. Disable Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) at the BIOS.

3. Make sure to use a support memory speed of 3200 DDR4.

Please let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
John_38
Beginner
Hello Deivid A.,

i loaded „optimized defaults“ at the MSI board, though i changed fan courves - enabled ERP - and changed boot-order settings, if its ok?

I then manually set the DDR4 to 3200Mhz, DRAM reference clock to 100Mhz.

I also completly shut off PC after boot, to be sure.

CPU stress test 10 minutes: OK
AVX stress test 20 minutes: fail

The System Agent Voltage is set to 1,15V static (before with XMP it was static 1,35V) - reported by XTU.

I then set the DRAM to „Auto“, it then has a speed of 2333Mhz.

CPU stress test 20 minutes: fail

System Agent voltage is now „default“ and in adaptive mode - reported by XTU.

In the stress tests the CPU used around 270-280W. P-Cores boosted to 5,69Ghz and E-Cores to 4,39Ghz. BCLK is on Auto, that is slightly under 100Mhz.

Maybe its the board and DRAM combination that is causing issues. I‘m planning on buying a new Z790 (refresh) board with DDR5.

I hope my mainboard or XMP of my DDR4 didn‘t damage my CPU?

Greetings, John
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello John_38, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I will continue with the investigation and will get back to you as soon as possible. This is to confirm if there are any other steps or recommendations for you.

Also, it is possible that overclocking the processor and using the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) could have affected the CPU performance. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello John_38, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like to let you know that throttling is a protective mechanism that reduces performance to prevent overheating and potential damage to your system, potential reasons for this are poor ventilation, high ambient temperatures, and heavy usage of the device. 

Based on your setup and the information you provided, I recommend you get in contact with us to review the replacement (RMA) options available for you. Once you have the new processor, try to set everything to default on Intel® XTU, or BIOS and run the test again and see if the issue persists.

Feel free to use any of the following methods: 

1. Chat support  

2. For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:  

- Phone contact information (check hyperlink)

- North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).  

- Web ticket support

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
John_38
Beginner
Hello Deivid A.,
i now have the 14900k running on a Asus Z790 Dark Hero with DDR5 and XTU stress tests were passing now - with 5600MT DDR speed and also with XMP 6800 profile.

It is a pity i couldn‘t use my Z690 with DDR4 - it should have work. My first Z790 Dark Hero got stolen, bought a 2nd one and also DDR5 - it all cost me 800€ (1st board) + 725€ (2nd board) + 525€ (DDR5)….
0 Kudos