Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15024 Discussions

Amazon PC received with N100 Engineer Sample processor

SKu
Beginner

Purchased this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CP88NSHP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Is there a process to report Engineer Sample processors making it into production sales?

While an impressive little device, the Intel Processor Identification Utility 7.1.8 identifies the processor is "an engineer sample, not a production processor."  These samples are "not intended for resale."

Processor fails to test in the IPDT 64-bit (version 4.1.9.41.W.MP).

Other reviewers noted the pre-installation of Malware on the Windows 11 Pro installation but I did not find any inconsistencies.  In actual fact, it is a solid little PC.

I've reported to Amazon and written a review.  I intend to keep the device for further analysis on my sandbox network.

Except for network hardware (Dual Realtek NICs, Realtek Wifi/Bluetooth), and drive (Kingston N600-256) the entire board is Intel based.

Of course, the entire board may be built of failed parts also.

I work in IT professionally, I'd love to talk to the appropriate Intel security team staff regarding this.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello SKu,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

For us to further check this, please help provide the following details:

1. What is/are the model of the processors involved?

2. What is the version of the Intel® Processor Identification Utility used?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,
Michael L.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SKu
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

The model shows up as "Future Intel Processor" within version 7.1.8 of the Intel Processor Identification Utility.  The Amazon and vendor websites for the device identify the the processor as an N100.  No specific model was available in Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64Bit 4.1.9.41.W.MP either.

If you look at the attached photos to the original post in this thread you will see the few details that did come up.

0 Kudos
cgn
Beginner

I purchased a similar N100 device from Amazon Germany and ran into the same issue.

I then returned the device and purchased a slightly different one instead... and same issue yet again!

1st device: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CL4J2F48

2nd device: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CHVZPY3Z

Intel Processor Identification Utility 7.1.8 identifies the CPU as an engineering sample.

Note: I wouldn't be surprised if the two devices I purchased are from the same company, just using multiple different brands and slightly different formfactors.  There are quite obvious similarities (eg. if you download their recovery image from the support site, you get a ZIP with all the files and a script to create your recovery USB stick - the scripts are remarkably similar...).

0 Kudos
SKu
Beginner

cgn,

Based on the multiple variants showing up, it makes me wonder if there is someone reselling 'not quite perfect' N100 chips taken from the fab factory.  Or if someone has created a cloned N100 CPU?

It will be interesting to see what the Intel staff come back with.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SKu,

Thank you for the information provided.  

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SKu,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update.

By the way, we want to thank you for bringing this up to us.

After conducting some research, it appears that the error may be due to the possibility that their processor has not been integrated into the software yet. Having said that, let me also share these links for additional information/recommendation.

And also, can you help generate the SSU logs of your system for further checking.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SKu,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SKu,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up to check if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
explorer200
Beginner

I have this issue as well on an EQ12 N100 Beelink mini PC

Screenshot 2024-06-15 110813.png

0 Kudos