Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15632 Discussions

CPU Intel I7-4790K

Hippie421
Beginner

I have Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Motherboard with an Intel I7-4790K CPU running Windows 10.  I started getting the WHEA blue screen of death.  I did discover my CPU fan was working intermediately and replaced it.  Windows quite loading and if it did load, never finished loading and gave the same error.  I installed a new SSD and tried installing Windows on the blank drive and the computer just shut off when it got to the set the PIN and gave me the WHEA error again when I restarted it.  Did the CPU get fried?  Is the any bootable software I can load to test it?  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What WHEA error are you seeing?

For older machines, it can come down to the memory starting to fail. I suggest that you download, install on a USB stick and then boot and run the MemTest86 package, which will thoroughly test the memory interfaces and DIMMs present.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Hippie421
Beginner

Well, I downloaded the program, extracted it to a stick, made everything in my BIOS to UEFI, and the program will not load.

When it first started happening, the error code was not on the screen long enough to write it down before the computer shut off.  It never loaded into the error log, and the machine never restarted.  Now when it does load, it just says Unrecoverable error, and shuts down and never restarts.

0 Kudos
Hippie421
Beginner

I guess I can't read instructions!  I got it working now and it is testing.

0 Kudos
Hippie421
Beginner

I reset both my RAM sticks and ran the program twice.  The first time I ran it, it stated that I passed with no failures. 

I reran it today, and it failed with the following error: 2023-06-08 12:31:39 - [Data Error] Test: 5, CPU: 6, Address: 381E407DC, Expected: 5440F23F, Actual: 5440E23F

Do I have a bad memory stick that is giving intermediate errors?

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Hippie421,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having Blue Screen of Death issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor.

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Either the memory is failing or the processor is failing. Purchasing alternate memory to try is a lot cheaper than purchasing a replacement processor.

...S

0 Kudos