Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

CPU not running as expected

KirinCooper
Novice

My CPU (i7-14700K) is failing to boost to 253W or reach 100C, as a result I am unsure as to why my CPU is not running at 253W under load, so far this is the data I have

CPU error.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper,

I noticed that you are using a third party app called Cinebench. Kindly please use our Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility instead if you are trying to overclock, monitor and stress your system. You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

Also, are you experiencing any issues in your current setup? 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice
I have also used Intel XTU, with the same results, maxing out at about 150W with an average of about 65, at any rate that hasn't changed the results, and I am looking for the solution, I am not looking to overclock, simply to see the 253W (and related performance) or explain why I can't and how to solve it
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper, 

Since you mention that you are maxing out at about 150W with an average of about 65, Kindly please send us a screenshot of the Intel XTU settings  so we can further  investigate this for you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice

Intel XTU gets better results, a zipped video of the results is included below

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice

That is to say better but from what I can tell still not as high as one would expect

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice

Furthermore I think this better shows what I mean

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice

The 100C does refer to temperature

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@KirinCooper   You do not have to keep making one-line posts.   There is an edit feature for you to modify a post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice

Apologies, for the for the data that isn't relevant, here is a screenshot of XTU settings 

KirinCooper_0-1708126672345.pngKirinCooper_1-1708126690836.png

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper

We'll be checking this information with our team for now and keep this thread posted for updates.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper, 

Upon checking this case, we would also like to suggest checking some settings in XTU, such as PL1 and PL2. Also, we've reviewed the video that you sent us and we noticed that the processor was running at 5.09 and one point 5.29 GHz. Based on our observation from the video, the processor is functioning well. Moreover, we can see power limit throttling turns "red". We hope that you are using all the compatible peripherals, especially PSU and Cooler.

Additionally, we have tested the following configuration during our simulation:

1. All set to "auto", CPU max temp set to 100C, MCE (multi-core enhancement) disabled => power draw over 240W and decreasing to 150-170, because of inefficient cooling, CPU temp quickly goes to 100.

2. PL1 & 2 set to 250W, CPU max temp set to 100C, MCE disabled => power draw over 220W for a short time, then decreasing to 150-170, CPU temp 90-95C.

3. PL1 & 2 set to 250W, IccMax set to 280A, CPU max temp set to 100C, MCE disabled => TDP around 150-160W and lower, CPU temp around 85C (stable)

Setting IccMax to 280A (value from datasheet) pretty much covered all other limits for CPU. Changing just this value while PL1/2 is set to 250W will change CPU performance.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice
I suspect that the cause may be the motherboard then, in bios I have PL1 and PL2 set to 253, however the motherboard is the (MSI) H610M-B, although I'm not sure whether that can be resolved in bios, the cooling solution says Air tower cooler (PL1:100W) although my PL1 is set to 253W, so I think that may be it, but I'm not sure because the CPU exceeds 100W and as such I am unsure as to how to resolve the issue
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@KirinCooper wrote:
I suspect that the cause may be the motherboard then, in bios I have PL1 and PL2 set to 253, however the motherboard is the (MSI) H610M-B, although I'm not sure whether that can be resolved in bios, the cooling solution says Air tower cooler (PL1:100W) although my PL1 is set to 253W, so I think that may be it, but I'm not sure because the CPU exceeds 100W and as such I am unsure as to how to resolve the issue

(MSI) H610M-B? does it look like this? 

KrissyG_0-1708747844568.png

The one i found has no MOSFET heatsink, not even one, i highly doubt that without any heatsink thee MOSFETs can take even 100W for a longer period of time.

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice
That is the motherboard, would I need to get a new motherboard then? That seems to be the solution
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper, 

I noticed one of our community member also replied in your message. We highly encourage responding to it as well as they might also share some helpful information with you. For now, I just want to confirm, were you able to try the troubleshooting recommended? How did it go? 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice
I'm not entirely sure, it seems from this information that I will need a new motherboard, although that may be incorrect, I suspect it is accurate
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

If the MOSFETs would overheat, a thermal throttling would take place. Since i have no idea where you could look it up, i will suggest installing Hardware Monitor, run some stress test or benchmark and watch the temperatures that it shows.

The highest temperature usually is the CPU, second highest will be the MOSFETs.

You should not be seeing any values close to +100°C on the MOSFETs.....in fact, none of the shown values should reach that temperature even after few minutes, else thermal throttling will take place.

In my caseTMPIN4 are the MOSFETs, for you it may be one of the other values. 

KrissyG_0-1709235274066.png

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper, 

How are you doing? I understand that you have some doubts whether the issue is with the motherboard, trying out the troubleshooting would enable us to further narrow it down. I just want to confirm, what were the results when you have tried the troubleshooting we recommended? Since the motherboard is an Original Equipment Manufacturer Device, have you also reached out to Gigabyte? 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
KirinCooper
Novice
I checked BIOS and PL1&2 are high, but tower cooler forces the PL down I think, I did try to get support from MSI as well, although I have not seen a response
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello KirinCooper

I am sorry to hear about the non response from MSI. Since that is the case, kindly please provide us your SSU logs so we can examine your system configuration and specification more closely. You may download it at this link:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html.

I also noticed one of our community membesrs, KrissyG suggested checking the cooler profile parameter. Upon conducting further research I want to let you know that MSI motherboard has a feature called "CPU cooler tuning" that can affect the power limit on the motherboard depending on the chosen setting. We kindly ask if you can turn off this feature or choose a setting that matches or exceeds their cooler TDP and then adjust PL1&2 values accordingly. Here is a YouTube video that might be helpful to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571w897Ix9o. However, I want to set your expectation that it is best if you can coordinate this feature with MSI since they the Original Equipment Manufacturer of this motherboard, and they are much more familiar with the features and specifications of this system.

Nonetheless, we will still try to assist you. Feel free to reply here with your SSU Logs

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos