Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15193 Discussions

CPU underclocks at 0.79Ghz while turbo boost is on

ProudWadhwa
Beginner

While gaming, my CPU temperatures consistently reach 100 degrees Celsius, causing my CPU to underclock at 0.79GHz. This issue persists even with a laptop cooling stand in place. I've noticed that other Intel processors typically don't exceed 95 degrees Celsius. My laptop specifications include a Xeon w-10855m CPU and 16GB of 2666MHz single-channel RAM. I'm using a Dell Precision 7550. However I don't want to disable Turbo Boost.

Could you please suggest a solution to address this overheating and underclocking issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ProudWadhwa.  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your laptop. 

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology opportunistically accelerates processor performance for peak loads and it does not sustain the turbo frequencies. The processor usage depends on the applications used in the system. When the processor usage is high, the temperature of the processor also rises. Intel® Processors have built-in thermal protection. If the processor gets too hot, the built-in protection slows down (throttling) and eventually shuts down the processor. You can verify this information publicly: My Laptop Seems to Be Overheating

For further assistance, contact the system manufacturer to understand the system’s normal operating temperature range and to report unexpected behavior of the system, since the design and thermal solutions are applied by the System Manufacturer. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @ProudWadhwa.    

We have not heard back from you, so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos