Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Can I upgrade my processor to support Intel VT-x and Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization

Adeola2306
Beginner

Hello @LeonWaksman@AlHill  My PC has a processor with product name Intel® Pentium® Processor B950 .

Unfortunately, Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is discontinued on it. I am trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 desktop linux on vmware workstation 14.0 Player but the workstation could not start the virtual machine. It gave the following error as seen in the attachment too: 

This host does not support Intel VT-x.

This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.

Module 'CPUIDEarly' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

I have checked the configuration from my PC's BIOS and it even has VT-x enabled but its still not working. Then I checked my processor's compatibility on Intel website and discovered that its VT-x has been discontinued so it no longer has it. 

Can I upgrade my processor so as to have VT-x enabled? What can I do please? 

Regards,

Adeola

ubuntu-installation-error.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your B950 never had VT:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/55627/intel-pentium-processor-b950-2m-cache-2-10-ghz.html

You may be able to upgrade, but to what end?  You have a 2nd gen processor, the max you might be able to go to is a 3rd gen, none of which will be supported by W10, or W11.

Reality says it is time to replace your hardware with an 8th gen or later system.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, if you want to replace the processor, you must contact the motherboard manufacturer and ask them what processors are supported by their BIOS.   Then, you can select from those.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Adeola2306
Beginner

@AlHill , Thanks for your advice. Yes I really think I need to replace the system. I have been on this issue for days now looking on the internet for what to do.

Thanks.

0 Kudos