Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Can't find correct USB 3.0 drivers?

DH13
Beginner

Not sure where to post this... my laptop seems to be having USB 3.0 trouble (not running at those speeds or randomly disconnecting devices), so I followed an online recommendation to uninstall the drivers, which I did, but they didn't reinstall on reboot and Windows Update isn't finding them.

I think they came pre-installed with my Dell Latitude E6540 laptop, and I've generally had spottiness with the USB ports but only now am finally trying to fix it for good. Dell SupportAssist (pre-installed) finds no problems even though Device Manager (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) says the USB drivers are missing or generic (with a yellow yield sign).

When I come here, it looks like I need USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver (which I remember being installed), but Intel says it's "discontinued" - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031615.html - however I don't know if that means they won't even let me download it...

What's the solution here? I ran Intel's scan (installed to my computer from the website) but it doesn't even mention USB... Is there someplace to download these drivers? I can't even tell which "chip" I have since Intel says there's two different ones... or do I need to dig through Dell's website?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DH13
Beginner

I found what looked like the original drivers from Dell and things seem to working.

I then discovered I had some sort of CPU % leak, tracked it down to Intel drivers for other hardware (and useless mini-WiFi software), uninstalled them, and my computer hasn't run better.

Really strange Intel has such poor software support for being a profitable billion-dollar company.

0 Kudos