Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Can't undervolt i7 13700K

Batucagan
Beginner

Hello, my i7 13700k runs pretty hot(under full load 100 degrees) so i want to undervolt it. The problem is, the voltage offset in XTU grayed out preventing me from making any changes. Any idea why and how can i bring the voltage of my processor down? i cant understand why i cant do this in an unlcocked processor. it is not unlocked at all.

idk if its important but, my paste is Arctic mx4 and my AIO is corsair H100i. my gpu is Strix RTX 3090 OC, Ram is 32(16x2) Corsair Vengeance RGB my motherboard is ROG Strix B660-G wifi.

Every bit of help is appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your bios, and check your bios to see if it is disabled.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Batucagan
Beginner

hello, it seems like the reason is the motherboard, all i want is to undervolt not overclock but i cant believe that this is the case, i thought that ROG makes quality products, yet here we are

0 Kudos
BFeely
Beginner

Windows 12 will most likely be worse as it will be more likely to turn on the hypervisor.  The Windows hypervisor blocks access to processor performance adjustments unless Undervolt Protection is enabled in the BIOS; this is a security measure against the "Plundervolt" attack.

0 Kudos
kmarc
Novice

Ensure "Undervolt protection" is disabled in bios.

0 Kudos
_Stuart_
Novice

Since downloading the the latest version (was on an old version) if I disable undervolt protection intel XTU will not load.

If I enable undervolt protection XTU will load but its useless as obviously, I cannot undervolt.

I did have my undervolt protection setting on AUTO, this also prevents XTU from loading.

Only change for me was XTU.  No BIOS changes were made.

Will probably end up using an old version.  Wish I had a note of the version I was using!

0 Kudos
MichalBoduch
Beginner

I found solution to undervolting issues with 13gen (13700k)  on ASUS TUF Plus D4

BIOS updates or previous versions will change nothing. 

After installing latest  INTEL® MANAGEMENT ENGINE  Firmware Update

(Find appropriate to your Motherboard BIOS - I.M.E. is installed from Windows):

... undervolting has began to change voltages on CPU,

... SVID ("Best Case Scenario")  lowered voltages automatically to lowest and STABLE levels.

Mine 13700k goes 5,5GHz at 1.3V  (225W) .....  before 5,4 at 1,45V (270W)

0 Kudos
BFeely
Beginner

To allow undervolting, you must make sure all Windows virtualization features are completely disabled.  If the Windows hypervisor is running for any reason, be it Hyper-V, VBS, or any other purpose, it will block access to the voltage controls unless Undervolt Protection is enabled.  Attackers learned they could glitch the processor into revealing data from secure processes by undervolting, and as such Windows does this as a security measure.

UVP is a compromise Microsoft has provided so one can use overclocking tools when the hypervisor is enabled, and the restriction agaisnt undervolting is by design. 

0 Kudos
_Stuart_
Novice

_Stuart__0-1674490413692.png

Latest version will not work if you disable undervolt protection.

0 Kudos
MichalBoduch
Beginner

I found solution to undervolting issues with 13gen (13700k)  on ASUS TUF Plus D4

BIOS update or previous versions will change nothing. (check Undervolting Protections is Disabled)

After installing Intel® Management Engine Firmware Update. (Find appropriate to your Motherboard BIOS)

Undervolting ENABLED.

SVID changes enabled.

Mine 13700k goes 5,5GHz at 1.3V  (225W) .....  before 5,4 at 1,45V (270W)

0 Kudos
LucasMazzer
Beginner

Could you plis send me The link of The Intel management engine ypu download?

0 Kudos