Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14864 Discussions

Cannot test 4x4 Bifurcated PCIe link with C-scripts on Birch Stream

kmbill79
Beginner

Hello, 

We are trying to test a 4x4 bifurcated PCIe Gen5 link on the Birch Stream Platform using C-scripts.  But, we are only able to test the first x4 link and not any of the other three.    all 4 devices have enumerated,  and are listed.  Is there something in the BIOS which needs to be enabled, or some variable in C-scripts which needs to be set?

I have attached a photo of what we see being identified by the platform, but we are only able to run tests on PCIe port 0a.  Shouldn't these show a 'config as' as x4, instead of one x16?  That is the config we expect from our work on Archer City

4x4 as seen by the Birch Stream platform4x4 as seen by the Birch Stream platform

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmbill79.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I understand that while all four devices have been enumerated and are listed, you're only able to test the first x4 link and not the other three. Regarding your query about the BIOS settings or C-scripts variables, it's possible that there may be settings in the BIOS that need to be enabled to facilitate testing on all four PCIe ports. Additionally, there might be variables in the C-scripts that need to be adjusted to accommodate the specific configuration you're aiming for. Regarding the configuration displayed, it's expected that each PCIe port should show a 'config as' value of x4, rather than one x16. This aligns with your previous work on the Archer City platform. Have you checked if the BIOS settings on the Birch Stream Platform need to be configured differently compared to your previous experience with the Archer City platform? Are there any specific settings or configurations in the BIOS? This might affect the bifurcation of the PCIe lanes on the Birch Stream Platform. Could there be any hardware limitations on the Birch Stream Platform? This could be preventing the testing of the other three PCIe links.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Moreover, I'd like to delve deeper and verify specifics like the graphics models, precise driver versions, and any system errors. Utilizing the Intel SSU tool will enable us to collect detailed information about your system setup, which could aid in identifying the underlying cause of this issue.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
kmbill79
Beginner

we will have a look and come back

0 Kudos
kmbill79
Beginner

Hi, 

Thank you for the feedback.  For the BIOS differences, we have not spotted anything yet between Archer City and Granite Rapids.  We were hoping for some insight from Intel here.  I also could not speak on HW limitations of the Birch Stream platform.  I would need Intel's guidance here.  I have not seen anything in the user guide.

0 Kudos
kmbill79
Beginner

For reference, this is the error we get in C-scripts when trying to test another bifurcated port:

kmbill79_0-1718106151210.png

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmbill79.

Thank you for the update.

For us to investigate the issue further, we'd like to delve deeper and verify specifics like the graphics models, precise driver versions, and any system errors. Utilizing the Intel SSU tool will enable us to collect detailed information about your system setup, which could aid in identifying the underlying cause of this issue.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
kmbill79
Beginner

Hi Von M.,

We will gather the data using the SSU tool.  I will update this ticket once we have the information

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmbill79.

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate your efforts in gathering the data using the Intel SSU tool. We'll await your update with the information.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello kmbill79,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to generate the SSU logs so we can check your system configuration in depth. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
narenkandou
Beginner

Hi Norman , 

We have had the system fully used . We will try getting the information to you soon. We will keep you posted. 

Thanks for getting back on this. 

Regards,

Narender

0 Kudos
narenkandou
Beginner

Hi Norman , 

Here are the two logs that we collected from our GR system (Beechnut city) . We are expecting that we could sort this soon with your help. 

The two logs correspond to when 1 x4 ssd is connected vs 4 x4 ssds are connected .

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, kmbill79.

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Hi, @narenkandou.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I empathize with your situation and the issue you are facing. However, I kindly request that you create a new thread for your case. This will allow us to focus on your specific problem and provide you with better assistance.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
narenkandou
Beginner

Hi Von, 

The data I provided yesterday was for the same ticket and since kmbill79 is out of office , I had to put in the data through my id . 

Do we really need a separate ticket as the history of a new case will exactly be the same as this one . 

Regards,

Narender

0 Kudos