Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15092 Discussions

Coil Whine in PC

yeeyaass
Beginner

Good afternoon, I have a problem with my computer, I have coil whine, at first I thought it could be from the motherboard or the power supply, but when I changed both for different ones, the noise continued, so I decided to put up with the coil whine.

1 month ago I installed a graphics card in my computer since I didn't have one before and I used the integrated one, but the coil whine still continues. After ruling out all options, I came to the conclusion that the coil whine is produced by the processor (i5-10600K). I would like you to help me with this since I have had the same problem for almost 2 years and I am already tired of the annoying noise that forces me to use headphones so as not to hear it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Check your intake, exhaust, and processor fans.  Unplug one, turn on PC, and listen.   If no whine, you have found the fan.   If whine, plug that fan back in and try another fan.

Do you have a HDD?  Unplug power and signal cable, and turn PC on.  Still hear the whine?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is simply not possible to get 'coil whine' from the processor itself; there's no coil to whine in the processor. If it isn't one of the fans, as Al alluded to, then it *must* be the motherboard (or perhaps an add-in graphics card?) that is producing it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos