Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15136 Discussions

Could I use 2x16GB dual rank Ram with my processor? (Link to ark.intel.com)

JohnMM
Beginner

I highly likely have this processor on a Medion Akoya S17402 (MD 63000, MSN 3002 6240, IV/29/19), currently 4GB:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189310/intel-pentium-gold-5405u-processor-2m-cache-2-30-ghz.html

I plan to buy this RAM:

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/de/memory/search/?partid=KF426S15IB1K2/32

Sadly I didn't get an answer from Medion, but hope the expertise could be found here.

Greetings

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

You are not even sure of what processor you have, and you want an answer?   It is the bios and motherboard supported memory that you need to be concerned with. 

As I said, only Medion can tell you what THEIR BIOS and MOTHERBOARD support.

Next time, do not purchase Medion.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, only Medion can answer questions about what is supported by their bios and motherboard.

0 Kudos
JohnMM
Beginner

Even Medion's motherboard could only offer things that work with the specifications of the given ark.intel link.

So if there are restrictions in regard to single rank or double rank stemming from the Intel specification, I hope to get an answer here.

(I found some website explaining everything some time ago, but I didn't save or bookmark it, sadly. I'm sure though Intel experts know the answer to my question.)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are not even sure of what processor you have, and you want an answer?   It is the bios and motherboard supported memory that you need to be concerned with. 

As I said, only Medion can tell you what THEIR BIOS and MOTHERBOARD support.

Next time, do not purchase Medion.

0 Kudos
JohnMM
Beginner

Obviously, being on an official site of Intel Corporation, getting this advice by a "Super User", who is regularily unsupportive as seen in other threads, AND WHOSE BEHAVIOUR IS DEFENDED BY INTEL EMPLOYEES in other threads, I will have to mark this answer as ACCEPTED SOLUTION, albeit this solution has to be somehow in Intel's business plan's interest:

"DO NOT PURCHASE MEDION".

I also took the liberty to send a screenshot to the Medion CEO's office, and to the ALDI CEO's office. I'm sure you concour.

I'm sure Intel CEO will have full understanding for that, too.

P.S. There might by some thick people on here, so just to make it clear: I have read dozens of this person's "posts", and taken into account him damaging Intel's definitly not unimportant business partner, I will purchase NO SINGLE INTEL PRODUCT ANYMORE, as long as this "not by Intel employed user" is removed from this forum. Bye bye

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I also took the liberty to send a screenshot to the Medion CEO's office, and to the ALDI CEO's office. I'm sure you concour."

Absolutely.  And, if either of these CEOs respond, make sure you know what processor you have, and tell them how fantastic their support of their hardware is.

You see, JohnMM, this is a community forum, where community members, like me, can respond to questions, such as yours.  I told you what was needed, and you did not like my answer.   And, I did not say "Do Not Buy Medion".  I said, "next time, do not buy medion".  That means that you should select an OEM who will support their hardware and not just throw out their trash and expect some other company to support it.  Yes, I said trash.   If you want to make something of  that, go ahead.

And, my responses do not need defending by anyone.  I clearly state in my signature that I am not an Intel employee or contractor.  If my answer is incorrect, then an Intel employee or someone else will say so, publicly.  

So, good luck with your campaign.  I hope it ultimately ends in getting Medion to support their hardware, which they seem to not want to do, as you yourself eluded to.

And, again, next time, purchase hardware that is supported by the OEM (read Medion here).

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

.....well, despite what others said, this is the truth about compatibility of RAM:

- the list of compatible RAM contains RAM that has been run for tests and it worked with the motherboard/CPU combination
- that very same list does not contain thousands of other RAM manufacturers and sizes, that may work with your system, very few of them will not....for example if too big in size
- regardless if your motherboard supports dual or quad channel RAM, if you buy 4 identical RAM pieces, it may not work in a dual/quad setup, but it definitely will work if they are identical and the size does not exceed specifications of the motherboard (i tested this myself many times, but for 100% of performance and definitely for overclocking, the RAM should be bought as dual or quad - depending on what RAM setup your motherboard supports )

Now, you are suggesting that you have some CPU.....that does not matter at all.
What you need to know, to even be able to use the RAM, is if your motherboard has DDR3, DDR4 or DD5 version.
For example, DDR3 is not compatible with DDR4, the cut-out is in a different place, you literally won't be able to plug it in there. 
Also find out what sizes of RAM can you even plug in there, maybe 32GB in a single stick is not possible, but double 16GB is....who knows.

And this is hilarious "screenshot to the Medion CEO's office, and to the ALDI CEO's office"
.....as if their email address is available for the public. The only contact information is to some office somewhere in a basement, where once a while someone *maybe* reads the emails, no CEO will ever see any of that, never.

How to find out what motherboard/CPU you got there? Type in the search box or Cortana "dxdiag" and click on it to run:
drfhdfhdfhg.png

You are definitely wrong looking for advices here on something that is not connected to Intel....no one will even remotely try to help you.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I too got a good laugh out of @JohnMM's response. As if. Really. Your integrity level: 0.

At the end of the day, whether John likes it or not, Al has provided the correct answer. Only the motherboard manufacturer is going to be able to answer this question. The possible memory configurations are decided by the motherboard's memory bus design and the Memory Reference (bus training, etc.) Code (MRC) that the manufacturer has included in their BIOS implementation.

I also agree with Al; if your manufacturer - regardless of who it is - is not going to help you, why would you EVER consider purchasing a motherboard or system from them again?

...S

0 Kudos