Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14777 Discussions

Critical Overheating Issues with i9-14900K: PC Crashes

Vector224
Beginner

Hello, I just built a new PC using the Core i9-14900K, and while attempting to render an image in Blender, my PC crashed and automatically restarted. I also noticed that the CPU temperature reached close to 100°C, and on a subsequent attempt, it resulted in a blue screen and the error message saying Stop Code: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT . I am genuinely concerned about the health of my PC. Does the i9-14900K have safety mechanisms to prevent damage from overheating? I suspect that overheating may have caused the restart. How can I confirm if my CPU is undamaged, and what steps can I take to address this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

Thank you for posting in our Intel communities.

We understand that you are experiencing issues with your i9-14900K as your system crashes and is having a blue screen error. Stop Code: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Based on our research, the blue screen of death can be caused by any problem that causes Windows to stop running safely. The BSOD can be triggered by software problems, such as incompatible driver updates, or hardware problems, like a hard drive that needs formatting or overheating caused by overclocking your CPU.

In our case, it seems to be an overheating issue. May I ask, have you overclocked your CPU?

For the troubleshooting steps, please follow the troubleshooting steps outlined on this page:

Blue Screen Error (BSOD) While Using Intel® Processors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025090/processors.html

By the way, you may check if your processor has any damage using our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. Please check out the page below and follow the instructions outlined there as well.

The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool: Overview, Download, and Documentation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you will be performing so we can decide what we can do next.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Vector224
Beginner

Hello, could someone please reply to me

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

Thank you for posting in our Intel communities.

We understand that you are experiencing issues with your i9-14900K as your system crashes and is having a blue screen error. Stop Code: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Based on our research, the blue screen of death can be caused by any problem that causes Windows to stop running safely. The BSOD can be triggered by software problems, such as incompatible driver updates, or hardware problems, like a hard drive that needs formatting or overheating caused by overclocking your CPU.

In our case, it seems to be an overheating issue. May I ask, have you overclocked your CPU?

For the troubleshooting steps, please follow the troubleshooting steps outlined on this page:

Blue Screen Error (BSOD) While Using Intel® Processors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025090/processors.html

By the way, you may check if your processor has any damage using our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. Please check out the page below and follow the instructions outlined there as well.

The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool: Overview, Download, and Documentation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

Please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you will be performing so we can decide what we can do next.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
Vector224
Beginner

Hello Carmona, 

Thank you for your reply! No, I never overclocked my CPU or played with anything, I just built my PC less than a week ago that's why I am very concerned. In addition, I did the CPU testing as you recommended and it looks like everything has passed. In addition, I noticed that in Blender app setting, I was only using the CPU without the GPU and that might put some extra load on the CPU. I hope everything is fine and the lifespan of my CPU wasn't affected by this 🥺

2024-01-19_08h12_45.jpg

0 Kudos
Vector224
Beginner

Hello Carmona, 

Have you had a chance to review my last reply?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

We appreciate your response and for trying our Intel diagnostic tool. 

Since, according to the diagnostic tool, the CPU has passed all the functionality tests, it means that your processor does not have any damage and is still in good condition.

Please contact us if you need any clarification or if you have any more questions; we would be happy to assist you.

And by the way, thank you for patiently waiting for my response. Your previous response was out of my shift, and my working days are only from Monday to Friday.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

We are checking in with you on the i9-14900K overheating issue we are having in case you have any additional queries or require further explanation. Please know that we would be happy to assist you if you have any.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
VerySillyGoose123

Hi, I'm replying to let you know that you're not alone, myself and others have experienced BSOD/Crashes when using the 14900k CPU to render in Blender 4.0.2, it seems this is an issue with blender itself and btw its completely normal for your cpu too hit 100 degrees in CPU intensive software like blender

0 Kudos
Omkar272
Beginner

Sir Facing same issue on i914900k. I request you to raise issue on Blender forum so that our issue gets addressed at earliest....Please follow the link 

https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/117368

0 Kudos
Vector224
Beginner

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply and for letting me know that I am not alone in facing this issue. It's a bit scary and frustrating to encounter such a problem, especially with a new PC, considering the hard-earned money invested in it.

0 Kudos
Omkar272
Beginner

Sir Facing same issue on i914900k. I request you to raise issue on Blender forum so that our issue gets addressed at earliest....Please follow the link 

https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/117368

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

We are checking in with you on the i9-14900K PC crash issue that we have, as we have not heard any response from you.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Vector224,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

By the way, we would like to provide a few more methods for troubleshooting related to our Blender issue or crashes.

Please follow the troubleshooting steps provided for these 3rd party links; they might be one of the solutions that we are looking for:

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos