Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Does a power outage harm a CPU?

PBisw5
Novice

A couple of months ago when I was resetting the USB port of my mouse , my hand bumped into the mass of wires (specially the wire connecting the UPS and the PSU). It was a fraction of a milisecond when the power went out and came right back in and the computer restarted on its own showing "THE SHUTDOWN WAS UNSUCCESSFULL and START WINDOWS NORMALLY". Though everything is working fine (I don't notice any weird behaviour). But can these power outages harm the CPU/ STOCK COOLER? When I do Intel's own Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool the stress test temps are around 59C where my idle temps are 36C (stock cooler) . Please reply. Thank You.

1 Solution
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello X0du$,

Thank you for bringing your inquiry to our attention.

The answer for your question is Yes. A power outage could possibly damage not only your processor but your motherboard and PSU ,RAM ,etc.

Computer systems and other electronic devices containing logic circuitry are susceptible to data loss or hardware damage that can be caused by the sudden loss of power. Thus, Electrical devices are susceptible to power disruptions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge Electrostatic Discharge (ESD).

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello X0du$,

Thank you for bringing your inquiry to our attention.

The answer for your question is Yes. A power outage could possibly damage not only your processor but your motherboard and PSU ,RAM ,etc.

Computer systems and other electronic devices containing logic circuitry are susceptible to data loss or hardware damage that can be caused by the sudden loss of power. Thus, Electrical devices are susceptible to power disruptions and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge Electrostatic Discharge (ESD).

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

PBisw5
Novice

Thank U....can U please tell me what are the symptoms of a defective cpu and fan?? And are my temperatures normal?? Because during stress tests my stock cooler goes only to 1570 RPM at 59°C.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello X0du$,

Your CPU's reported temperature is good and does not indicate any issues with the processor.

The first signs of CPU failure will be system crashes, usually of the "fatal error" variety. These crashes may be hard to pinpoint because they are likely to happen at random intervals.

Processors do not really have a state of half-failure. When they fail, you are usually going to see a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death BSOD or a random reboot. Since this will occur whenever a processor completely fails to execute code correctly, you will not have any fore-warning. Everything could be fine and all of a sudden it is not.

Processor is comparable with a light-bulb, it works fine or it does not work.

Have you noticed any high temperatures?

Did you get any error messages or Blue screens on the computer?

Regards,

CaesarB_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
PBisw5
Novice

Yes....I did get BSOD thrice in three months but I searched the error SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and saw that it was due to a Bad Graphics Driver.

I fixed it by downloading Windows Whotfix.

Now its running perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello X0du$,

I am glad to hear the processor is fine and the issue was fixed by downloading Windows* Hotfix.

Hope this helps other users, too.

Regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
PBisw5
Novice

Thank you , Cesar Badilla :)

0 Kudos
Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello X0du$

You are welcome. We are glad to help.

Regards

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos