Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15133 Discussions

Gear 1 10Gen and 11Gen

MangaTech
Beginner

Hi all.

I'm not a OC guy and I don't have even XMP activated. But as I follow many tech channels in youtube, I heard today that 10gen and 11gen CPU's have had problems with Gear 1 with memory at 4000mhz. He states that the CPU's would burn with the time in this frequency and Gear1. I've never heard anything about this and I've search in the Internet and not even a single post about this nor a site.

So as I'm debating with him about this, do you guys knows anything about it?

Regards,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is certainly true that, when using XMP profiles, the memory controllers are being overclocked and, with sustained loads, this can result in overheating (affecting processor lifetime) and eventual failures. This form of overclocking is no different from any other form of overclocking and thus could void your warranty as a result.

Intel fully validates and warrants the lifetime of the processor based upon certain maximum memory speeds. This ARK Comparison includes the Memory Types field, detailing the maximum memory speed supported, for examples across the 10th and 11th gen Core i3/i5/i7/i9 processors. As you can see, 4000MHz is well above the 2666MHz/2933MHz/3200MHz maximums for 10th gen processors and the 3200MHz maximum of all 11th gen processors.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MangaTech
Beginner

Hi Scoot.

Yes that part I know, anything above the spec can damage the CPU, but my question is, there's something reported that Intel 10 gen can get damage by memory clock at 4000mhz specifically? I think he are trying to absorve the AMD problem with 7000 series, with this sentence. I don't see nothing about this in any site or forum, so that, I assume that is not a true statement. The truth is that any CPU with any kind of OC or working abouve the specs can be damage, 10 gen, 11 gen, 12 gen etc etc etc

0 Kudos
Vlares
Novice

Hah. In order for the memory controller to warm up so much, it is necessary that operations take place there as during mining in video cards, where memory controllers most often come out. Ordinary users cannot have such operations, in any case, I don’t imagine such a thing.

How can this void the warranty? Who will prove for what reason the processor failed or at what frequency did it work? It's unrealistic.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All I can say is that I have never heard of a problem like that. Intel states (here

• Gear 1 means CPU Memory Controller & Memory Speed are equal.
  • Gear 2 means CPU Memory Controller operates at half the Memory Speed (such as CPU Memory Controller is at 1600MHz while Memory Speed is at 3200MHz when operating as Gear 2).
  • Gear 2 is not available for DDR4-2933 MHz and lower speeds.
  • i9-11900K and i9-11900KF can operate at DDR4-3200 MHz in Gear 1.  All other 11th gen SKUs can operate at DDR4-3200 MHz in Gear 2.
  • All 11th gen SKUs can operate at DDR4-2933 MHz in Gear 1.

...S

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @MangaTech,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
MangaTech
Beginner

Yes all good, it's seems a false history.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @MangaTech,

Thank you for your post. In this case, we will proceed to close this thread. I appreciate your time. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos