Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14915 Discussions

Getting A Message From XTU

Timlab55
Beginner

I hope I put this in the right place.  Here's my problem, XTU is telling me on the bottom even without doing anything that I have "Current/EDP Limit Throttling" highlighted.  The system I have is an I9-11900K mounted on a Z590-e Motherboard (ASUS).  So how can this be fixed?

Thank You

Dan

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, wrong forum.  XTU problems belong in the https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/bd-p/processors forum.

Not to worry, a moderator will move your post.

By the way, try updating your bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Timlab55

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

What does it mean when the Current/EDP (Electrical Design Point) Limit Throttling and the Power Limit Throttling indicators display Yes in the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)?

Processors have two modes of thermal protection: throttling and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings.

If the conditions are such that throttling is unable to keep the temperature down, such as a thermal solution failure or incorrect assembly, the processor will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.

Current/EDP Limit Throttling

There can be multiple reasons why the current/EDP throttling is set on the processor. Three common reasons are listed below:-

1.      Processor Core IccMax is set too low in the Intel® XTU.

2.      VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control. Contact your motherboard vendor.

3.      The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given processor. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current/EDP throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

Power Limit Throttling

There can be multiple reasons why the power limit is throttling on the processor. Three common reasons are listed below:

·        Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 is set too low in Intel® XTU.

·        The Core Voltage limit is set too low in Intel® XTU.

·        The system doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.

How to fix throttle?

For self-built PC with Intel® Boxed Processors, ensure the following:

1.     Make sure that the thermal solution being used is compatible and correct for the specific CPU.

1.     Refer to How to Choose Thermal Solutions for Intel® Core™ Boxed Desktop Processor.

2.     Refer to Information about Thermal Solutions

2.     Verify proper installation of the processor thermal solution. Refer to the Cooler Installation section in Intel® Desktop Boxed Processors Support Videos and Instructions

3.     Make sure to apply the right amount of thermal interface material (TIM).  

4.     Check system fan operation.

5.     Check air ventilation.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Dear Mr. IsaacQ_Intel;

I have to save this one for sure.  Let me explain that about 3 nights ago, I installed a program called "PrimoCache".  I read everything and then later I found that it had some bugs.  During the playing around with it, It talked about clicking something to improve the transfer and it deals with the L2 cache.  So as always I do use caution, but said to myself "I can always delete it later".  So later that night, I didn't want it and undelete it from the system.  But I wanted to make sure so I called upon XTU to show me the system info and other things.  They seem okay, but the system wasn't acting right.  So I tried a few things to make sure that "PrimoCache" wasn't in the system anymore and well, a big mess.  So I did Windows and after that, my system has been happy, and sure enough, that message about "Current/EDP" was gone.  So PrimoCache does something to the processor or what I have no clue.  

When I do run XTU sometimes I do see the Current/EDP show up and that is where you charm in with your advice about DIY'ers.  

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Timlab55

We are sorry to hear that the issue persists even after uninstalling that software. We are more than glad to assist you to solve this issue.

Before continuing, please provide us with the following information:

·        What do you mean by “system wasn't acting right”? Can you give us more details about that, please? It could be screenshots or details about the behavior of the PC.

After this, we will do some research in order to find a solution for the problem.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Dear IsaacQ.;

I will do as you requested, however, for the next 10 days I will be out of town.  Will this ticket still be open when I get back?

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Timlab55

Thank you for your reply, we will be waiting for that information.

And as an answer to your question, this thread will be opened for the following 7 business days from today.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Timlab55,

We hope you are doing fine.

Have you been able to gather the information we requested before?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Timlab55

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos