Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14938 Discussions

Help me find the right processor

SChak4
Beginner

Hello,

I am Sam from calcutta, india. After using Core i7 920 1st gen for nearly 6yrs, now I need to replace both processor and motherboard of my desktop. My old i7 920 used to generate much heat & consume much power. I am here to seek your help in choosing the right i5 or i7 alongwith the right chipset motherboard for my machine.

I am not in overclocking not heavy gaming but more into heavy multitasking multimedia stuff like video/audio editing and maybe sometimes good games. I do have to reuse my existing Coolermaster 650W PSU, 12gb corsair ddr3 memory, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD & Msi HD7850 GPU card.

My main criteria of a latest released Core i7 or i5 being low heat & low power comsumption without compromising performance i.e. while copying GBs of data i can simultanesouly encode a video/see a movie/multitask? Will an i5 suffice or i need an i7. Following are the i7 processors i researched and drilled down to:

Intel Core i7-4790 Processor - Haswell Quad-Core, 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W - R MAY 2014

Intel Core i7-4790T Processor Haswell Quad-Core 2.7GHz LGA 1150 45W - R FEB 2014

Intel Core i7-4790S Haswell Quad-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 65W - R FEB 2014

Intel Core i7-4771 Processor Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W - R JULY 2013

Intel Core i7-4770 Processor - Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W - R JUNE 2013

Being in India, I consider myself unfortunate that not every processor versions are available to me and we still use 1-2yrs old processors while in USA options are more latest. Please advise. Also do guide whether I will be ok with a H97 intel chipset motherboard or a Z97.

regards

Sam

Calcutta, India

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Marvin_L_Intel
Employee

Hello samc0101,

Based on what you are looking for you may get an i7-4790 which is one of the most popular ones right now on market for multtasking, video encoding, gaming, data management and more, and in regards of the chipset you can use either H97 or Z97 since both are compatible with the processor and will not make much difference in terms of performance.

If you have more questions please let us know.

Best regards,

marving_intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please bear in mind Intel does not sale directly, I would recommend waiting for any community member that may provide details about this matter.

For Intel processor information go here: http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/ Intel: Shop for Tablets, 2-in-1s, Laptops, Desktops, Smartphones, Servers

Allan

0 Kudos
Marvin_L_Intel
Employee

Hello samc0101,

Based on what you are looking for you may get an i7-4790 which is one of the most popular ones right now on market for multtasking, video encoding, gaming, data management and more, and in regards of the chipset you can use either H97 or Z97 since both are compatible with the processor and will not make much difference in terms of performance.

If you have more questions please let us know.

Best regards,

marving_intel

0 Kudos