Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14981 Discussions

Help solve performance limitation on i7-2700K

Martin10
Beginner

I have a simulation program (Excel VBA Macro – single threaded) which performs a repetitive calculation procedure. Just data arrays and calculations, no interaction with the worksheets whatsoever. I run this on two computers, one laptop (i5-8265U) and one desktop (i7-2700k) and given the specifications and the benchmarks I would have assumed they would be very similar in performance, but they are not. The laptop is working >30% faster and I cannot figure out why. Ideally I would like to run this Macro on the desktop but it is just too slow ☹

One thing I noticed in Task Manager is that the 2700K is only working on 12.5% (one core – half processor load) while the laptop is displaying 25% (one core – full processor load).

-I shut off hyperthreading at the desktop, that gave a negligible improvement.

-I have tried disabling most of the background programs but also with very limited impact.

Now I am out of ideas and need some help. Can anyone explain what is limiting the 2700K performance like this..?

Desktop:

Processor: i7-2700K @ 4400MHz (overclocked all core)

RAM: 2x8 GB DDR3-2133 MHz

UserBenchmark: Single Core CPU: 120, Single Core Memory Throughput: 22.6 GB/s

VBA Macro execution time: 9.5 seconds

Laptop:

Processor: i5-8265U @ 3900 MHz (when in Turbo)

RAM: 2x4 GB DDR4-2667 MHz

UserBenchmark: Single Core CPU: 117, Single Core Memory Throughput: 22.1 GB/s

VBA Macro execution time: 7 seconds

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Martin10,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos