Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14652 Discussions

How to change boost clock of CPU?

Lucky82
Beginner

My laptop is Thinkpad P16 gen 1.

CPU core i9-12950HX (include 8 P-core and 8 E-core)

Window 11 pro.

I want to decrease boost clock of CPU a little bit. 'Maximum processor state' in Power Option didn't work anymore. Is there another way to change boost clock of this CPU?

Regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, Lucky82.

Thank you for posting and for providing the details of your laptop and its specifications in our Community.

I understand that you have a laptop. Since this is an OEM (Thinkpad P16 gen 1) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system. We will need to do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available. 

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Lucky82.

Apologize for the delayed response.

Please be informed that decreasing the boost clock of your CPU, especially for the Intel Core i9-12950HX, can be a bit tricky. However, here are some alternative methods you might consider:

1. BIOS Settings: Some laptops allow you to adjust the CPU settings directly in the BIOS. You can enter the BIOS during startup and look for options related to CPU performance or power management.

2. Intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility): If your CPU supports it, you can use this application to adjust various performance parameters, including the boost clock.
  3. Contacting the Manufacturer: Since the Thinkpad P16 gen 1 is an OEM device, Lenovo may have specific tools or BIOS updates that can help manage CPU performance.

Also, before attempting any changes, make sure to back up important data and understand that altering CPU settings can affect system stability. If you're not comfortable making these changes yourself, it might be best to consult with a professional. Remember that adjusting the boost clock could potentially void your warranty or cause thermal issues, so proceed with caution and ensure that your cooling system is adequate for any changes you make.

Furthermore, according to our Performance, Proxy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Intel® Processors article under the Can an end-user adjust the operating range of the processor?, processor capabilities are only released to system vendors as part of the system design process. The system design vendors may choose to expose some control to end users at their discretion. Contact your OEM for details.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Lucky82.

I hope you are doing fine.

Could you please confirm if you've reviewed the earlier post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos