Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14753 Discussions

I have an x3363 processor that says it supports SLAT (EPT) but the OS is not able to recognize it. Am I missing something in the bios? Thanks!

MBive
Beginner

I have an x3363 processor that says it supports SLAT (EPT) but the OS is not able to recognize it. Am I missing something in the bios? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MBive
Beginner

Here's the Coreinfo results stating that it's not present...

Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3363 @ 2.83GHz

Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel

Microcode signature: 00000A0B

HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present

VMX * Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization

EPT - Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

But the ARK says that EPT is a "yes".

http://ark.intel.com/products/35279/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X3363-(12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB) ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor X3363 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Based on the information displayed by Coreinfo is recognizing the EPT and the processor has it. I recommend you checking on the BIOS the VTX is enabled and try again.

Kevin M

MBive
Beginner

Kevin, unfortunately the dash " - " means it's not there and the asterisk " * " means it is there. I will definitely go back through the BIOS, though, and look around again.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for clarifying it. I am going to research on this and I will be back soon with more information.

Kevin m

0 Kudos
CFalt
Beginner

One of the hobbyists who bought used x3363 thinking it was a cheaper path to EPT based on Intel ARK search. But as I mentioned above -- I think Intel needs to update the ARK info on its website to use info from production specs rather than announcement projected specs.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

The support for SLAT started with Nehalem or 32nm process technology, the X3363 is Yorkfield or 45nm process technology.

Therefore the Xeon X3363 is not compatible with that technology.

The wrong information in ARK is already reported. I regret for the inconvenience.

Mike C

0 Kudos
CFalt
Beginner

I suspect Intel needs to update the info on the x3363 processor posted in its ARK website feature. If you look closely that info is from the original public announcement of the processor. Nothing in the scarce Intel post-production documents and specifications says that EPT made it off the drawing board for the 3300 series processors. Can't find anything specific on x3363 unfortunately to say whether it was a mutant 3300 series processor. Not sure if Coreinfo -v is suppose to bypass currently loaded features activated by microcode or not. I sort of get the impression it does.

I think that processor announcements come out while chip prototyping is still in progress but looking very good for transitioning from alpha-beta to release to manufacture. In fact I think its usually a couple weeks before wide spread dissemination of Engineering Samples for public marketing.

Basically I am reminded that its not unusual for a less important feature or two to slip off the plans as real production begins. Given the low demand in the target market at the time of x3363 production start I am guessing that EPT was NOT considered an important feature for the bottom line. So I am guessing the EPT touted in the X3363 processor announcement was dropped due at production time to time and cost constraints.

Its also possible that the EPT hardware exists on chip but is not enabled in microcode due to lack of support or unreliability. Or perhaps this early implementation of EPT was slightly "version 0.5" in its implementation and thus unrecognized by Windows and some other OSes.

It would certainly be nice for hobbyists (secondary market consumers still sucking up salvaged x3363s for 771 to 775 conversion) if

# 1 Intel updated the ARK info to reflect the true status of EPT support.

# 2 Intel released any such activation microcode or variant EPT data at this time via a footnote to x3363 EPT entry. (with any necessary disclaimer of "no guarantee" that this will work consistently on your CPU. No further Intel support for this obsolete processor).

Remember lots of hobbyists are IT guys or have influence in corporate purchases as well as many home computer purchases. Always good to have hobbyists think well of Intel CPUs over an extended life as well as the brand new computers. Heh I remember leaning on several corp purchases with the idea that in 3-5 years I might be able to buy server with that CPU as salvage.

0 Kudos