Hello

I'm looking a bios version 0041 for update:

DH61BE

DH61CR

DH61DL

DH61WW

DH61SA

DH61ZE

It is for to install an i7 third generation and after proceed until 0120 version.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have attached a ZIP file that provides all of the BIOS files necessary. To help you with the installation, here are my notes:

A. My step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also better (though not required) to use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Specify to install the FAT32 file system (Important: NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Avoid using blue USB 3.0 or Yellow USB 2.0/3.0 charging ports. Also avoid using front panel USB ports.
  11. Power on the system.
  12. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  13. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  14. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so then.
  15. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  16. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  17. Power on the board.
  18. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see a BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  19. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  20. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  21. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  22. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  23. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  24. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  25. Test.

B. Some additional thoughts on BIOS Recovery:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try using the blue USB 3.0 or yellow USB 2.0/3.0 ports as well if no other choices. You can also try using front panel USB ports.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive. Remember that all USB flash drives must be reformatted at least once using the process described in Step 4 above.
  • As always, it is helpful to use a USB flash drive that has an access LED so that you can visually see if it is being accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

C. Some thoughts on updating these boards:

• There are pertinent instructions in the BIOS Release Notes (BE0120.pdf).
  • My additional notes on the process (once you have BIOS 41 installed):
    • Perform Steps 1 - 22, using BE0048.BIO at Step 6.
    • On USB flash drive, delete BE0048.BIO and add BE0099.BIO
    • Perform Steps 7 - 22.
    • On USB flash drive, delete BE0099.BIO and add BE0120.BIO
    • Perform Steps 6 – 26.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have attached a ZIP file that provides all of the BIOS files necessary. To help you with the installation, here are my notes:

A. My step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also better (though not required) to use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Specify to install the FAT32 file system (Important: NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Avoid using blue USB 3.0 or Yellow USB 2.0/3.0 charging ports. Also avoid using front panel USB ports.
  11. Power on the system.
  12. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  13. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  14. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so then.
  15. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  16. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  17. Power on the board.
  18. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see a BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  19. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  20. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  21. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  22. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  23. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  24. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  25. Test.

B. Some additional thoughts on BIOS Recovery:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try using the blue USB 3.0 or yellow USB 2.0/3.0 ports as well if no other choices. You can also try using front panel USB ports.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive. Remember that all USB flash drives must be reformatted at least once using the process described in Step 4 above.
  • As always, it is helpful to use a USB flash drive that has an access LED so that you can visually see if it is being accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

C. Some thoughts on updating these boards:

• There are pertinent instructions in the BIOS Release Notes (BE0120.pdf).
  • My additional notes on the process (once you have BIOS 41 installed):
    • Perform Steps 1 - 22, using BE0048.BIO at Step 6.
    • On USB flash drive, delete BE0048.BIO and add BE0099.BIO
    • Perform Steps 7 - 22.
    • On USB flash drive, delete BE0099.BIO and add BE0120.BIO
    • Perform Steps 6 – 26.

Hope this helps,

...S

Muhadib
Beginner

Hello Scott thank you very much for the files, I have already update to 0035 version. I tried the bios recovery procedure according to the indications but appears a warning that it is not possible to use it from 0035. Then I tried with F7 and appears the warning "bios 0035 does not permit the F7 bios update process to be used please update bios using Iflash or Intel express bios update". Now I will try with a bootable pen drive

0 Kudos
MattVonGrimm
Novice

Hello Scott,

I'm having issues updating from 0035 to 0041, I have the BIOS updates you provided and a copy of Rufus as I'm getting the "BIOS 0035 does not permit the F7 BIOS update process to be used please update BIOS using IFlash or Intel Express BIOS Update".

I'm not sure what I need to do.

I followed your instructions in the thread.
I tried removing the jumper on the board and updating with a USB 2.0, 1 GB stick, and the BE0041P.bio file copied onto it, twice (using different rear ports), all I get is a blank screen and no activity, I left it for 30 minutes each time (to be safe), but no joy, it won't update the BIOS, I even tried diffferent USB ports on the back of the board.
I see someone said (Muhadib, in this thread) that they used Rufus to get it to work, but didn't go into detail on how.
Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to get it updated to at least 0048 so I can install an Intel Core i5-3750K.
At the moment I'm in a jam.
Thanks in advance.

Matt.

0 Kudos
MattVonGrimm
Novice

Hello Scott,

I'm having issues updating from 0035 to 0041, I have the BIOS updates you provided and a copy of Rufus as I'm getting the "BIOS 0035 does not permit the F7 BIOS update process to be used please update BIOS using IFlash or Intel Express BIOS Update".

I'm not sure what I need to do.

I followed your instructions in the thread.
I tried removing the jumper on the board and updating with a USB 2.0, 1 GB stick, and the BE0041P.bio file copied onto it, twice (using different rear ports), all I get is a blank screen and no activity, I left it for 30 minutes each time (to be safe), but no joy, it won't update the BIOS, I even tried diffferent USB ports on the back of the board.
I see someone said (Muhadib, in this thread) that they used Rufus to get it to work, but didn't go into detail on how.
Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to get it updated to at least 0048 so I can install an Intel Core i5-3750K.
At the moment I'm in a jam.
Thanks in advance.

Matt.

OOPS! Double-Posted, sorry!

0 Kudos
Muhadib
Beginner

I've solved! With Rufus and a pen drive up to version 0048. The others need the recovery procedure, in particular the 099. Many thanks to Scott who provided me with the unobtainable version 0041 without which I would not have been able to go on.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you want to use Rufus to make a DOS-bootable flash drive, that's fine - but you must have reformatted the flash drive at least once using the Windows format applet, formatting for the FAT32 file system and ensuring that the Quick Format option is disabled. Once that is done, you can use Rufus and create a DOS-bootable image on the flash drive - but you must use the FAT32 file system.

...S

MattVonGrimm
Novice

Thank you very much Scott, you are a gentleman and a scholar (I'm English, we talk like that).

I've done the format (not a quick format) for every flash update increment from 0016-0035 using FAT32 file system on a 1GB, USB 2.0 flash disk, to FAT32, using the F7 BIOS Update with nothing but the .BIO file on the disk, all have worked perfectly, (the BIOS shows 0035 now) - except when attempting to update from 0035-0041.
I folllowed exactly the same procedure when attempting to update from 0035-0041, then I got the error message I mentioned above.
Using the Recovery jumper, all I got was a black screen and no activity for 30 minutes, I did exactly the same with the USB disk, folloing your instructions to the letter and also tried a different port, to no avail and the same resulting error message if attempting to use the F7 BIOS Update.

I'm just not sure how to use Rufus to make a DOS bootable drive and the steps needed, including the files I'd need and how to update the BIOS using a DOS prompt, whether I'd need to change filenames or if I'd need an application on the bootable USB DOS drive in order to update the BIOS.

All I've managed to find online is how to use Rufus with an .ISO file to install Windows 10 from an 8+ GB flash drive, nothing about booting into a DOS environment, then flashing the BIOS from a Command Line Interface, so I'm completely in the dark as to what files I'd need apart from the BIOS files (that you provided a link to) and how I'd go about flashing the BIOS.

For some reason removing the jumper for Recovery does absolutely nothing, just a blank screen (monitor on standby) for 30 minutes (or longer) and no activity from the USB drive or any attached devices, it appears that they're not getting any power, but the fans are spinning, the Mainboard light is on and the power LED on the front of my case is on, but no activity or POST beeps.

I followed your instructions to the letter, as you said, yet unfortunately no joy.
I need to update the BIOS to at least 0046 (or 0048 from your BIOS package) in order to install an Intel Core i5-3750K or Core i7-3770K (I can't see the real difference or need to upgrade to a Core i7-3770K over a Core i3-3750K, it may have twice the amount of threads, 2MB more L3 Cache Ram and 100Mhz faster, but is 3 times the price (or more) on eBay, but it's not deal breakingly faster, unless I'm missing something and it's worth it?), all is irrelevant though unless I can update the BIOS, the most I can install is a Core i7-2700K, from my current Core i3-2100, but I'm sure without a BIOS update I won't be able to run a decent GPU (for its age).

Thank you for responding to my issue, I hope you can help.
Many thanks in advance sir, you are way more experienced than myself.

Matt.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hah! I am Canadian and I talk like that too (give or take a different accent). I was always getting grief from my U.S co-workers, especially when I said 'out and about' (the two words that seem to identify where my accent is from) or if I spelled it, for example, Colour instead of color.

For any flash disk, you need to do the format with Quick Format disabled. This was the only way that we figured out how to clear the problems created by the Linux-based bulk formatters used by the manufacturers. You only need to do this once; not every time you are going to flash a BIOS (regardless of method).

Now, as to method for building bootable DOS flash drive, after having done the above slow format, simply download and run Rufus (current version available is 3.21). Settings to change/verify: Device = Your device. Boot Selection = FreeDOS. Partition Scheme = MBR. File System = FAT32. Quick Format = checked. Click on START and away it will go. Click on Close at the end to terminate. That's it.

Now that you have the bootable DOS flash drive, copy the IFLASH2.EXE file, as well as the .BIO file you want to install, onto the flash drive. You are now ready to boot it on the board.

Once you have the flash drive booted, use command "IFLASH2 /pf XXX.BIO /rb", where XXX.BIO is the name of the .BIO file you want to install.

I have attached an updated version of the ZIP file that (now) include the iFlash2 executable and the associated read-me file.

Only additional information I can give you is to read the first section of the BIOS Release notes (the PDF file included).

Let me know how it goes...

...S

MattVonGrimm
Novice

It was a lamentable faliure, I think the board is bricked.
I updated it from 0035- 0041, using Rufus, no problem, but I needed 0042 minimum to be able to use a 3rd Gen socket 1155 CPU, so I updated it to 0048, everything was fine.
I thought, "While I'm doing it, I may as well update the board to the latest BIOS, as that may cover any compatibility issues with anything else I may install", bad idea.
I updated to 0099, with the nice GUI and new splash screen.
That's where things went wrong.
If I'm quick, I can enter BIOS setup with F2, BIOS update with F7 and select boot device with F10, all of these options work, I can change and save BIOS settins, I can open the updater and select a boot device. as soon as I attempt to boot from anything, it freezes. If I start up and try to get it to boot from USB or SSD, it freezes, I pulled the drives, tried to boot to USB. Freezes.
Tried to update the BIOS from USB from 0099 to 0120 to see if that fixes things and allows me to boot from ANYTHING, Strange Error Message-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flashing motherboard firmware:

Currrent revision:         BEH6110H.86A.0099.2012.1205.1807
Updating to revision:   BEH6110H.86A.0120.2013.1112.1412

Preparing  image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... [done]
Preparing  image for BackUp Recovery Block firmware ... [done]
Preparing  image for Boot Block firmware ... [done]
Preparing  image for Recovery Block firmware ...[done]
Preparing  image for Main Block firmware ... [done]
Preparing  image for Graphic firmware ... [done]
Flashing image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... FW Update Sample Application ERROR FwUpdateFullBuffer
[failed]

Flash update failed!

Technical Information:   (0x8000000000000015, 1632)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what this means apart from "This doesn't work"

I can't roll-back the firmware and the BIOS recovery jumper does nothing, if I bridge pins 1+2, normal boot, bridge 2+3 Configuration Boot into BIOS (then tells you to replace jumper on pins 1+2 after powering down before restart), remove jumper for supposed BIOS recovery, nothing happens, just a blank screen, I left it a number of times like this for 30+ mins, hoping it would do SOMETHING, but it's just a blank screen, it doesn't DO anything, which strikes me as odd.
The fans are spinning, the keyboard and mouse power up as well as the USB (my USB stick lights up when active) but the monitor remains in standby.

Like I said, I think the board is bricked, unless you know of a way to fix it, I've tried everything I can think, including trying to re-flash 0099, that just tells me that I'm already running 0099 so there's no need for an update.
I don't know what else to do, I think I've tried everything possible unless you know of something?
It's a real disappiontment, seeing as all I wanted was to update to take a 3rd Gen. CPU.

I may have to end up buying a used socket LGA 1155 board from eBay, any suggestions on a good one if I can't fix this?
I will need 4 SATA ports and probably onboard graphics for now, as I have yet to buy a GPU for that computer, and the ability to support at least 8Gb (16Gb would be nice) with at least two, preferably four DIMM slots, and compatible with DDR3 1333MHz and 3rd Gen. Core i3, i5 and i7 CPU's.
Looks like my "cheap living room PC project" from spares, has just become more costly.
Shame really, 

Thanks for your help Scott, you've been invaluable, if you know what's wrong and how I can fix it, that'd be awesome, but I think it's probably dead. It'll let me enter the BIOS settings with F2, make and save settings, F7 for the flash utility, and F10 for the boot device menu, but as soon as you select a boot device or attemt to boot, it just freezes when you press (Y) to confirm booting from that device.

OR it just stays on the splash screen, progressing no further, not booting from any device and everything just hangs showing the Intel splash screen, I left it like this for almost an hour to see if it was just "being slow" because it was updating, but it wasn't and wont allow me to even boot into FreeDOS from USB or Windows from my SATA SSD.

Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

Matt.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you follow the advice I gave in the original algorithm? That is, did you use the BIOS Recovery method for all of these updates? If you used any other method, you may have bricked the board. If you have a chance of recovering from this, reinstall BIOS 99 using jumper-based BIOS Recovery (i.e. Steps 7-22) and see if you can get the ME running again. Note: method for checking is to go into BIOS Setup, down into Advanced Information (or some title like that) scene and check the ME firmware revision (scroll down to bottom of information displayed). If it is 0000 or blank, then the ME is not running.

Crossing my fingers...

...S

0 Kudos
KenLau
Beginner

hi teacher

I just up to BE0099 but cannot boot anyitem ,

I check ME is0000000

Please help

I try step 7~22 , jumper puted , screem black . wait 15min , restart ,

& F2 , F9  Y , F10 Y

Same ME00000

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Start yourself a new thread, provide all information like, motherboard model, current bios, etc.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
KenLau
Beginner
DH61BE from BE0048 up to BE0099
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

See my 02-06-2023 response. All you can do now is to try to do the jumper-based BIOS Recovery with the 99 BIOS. If it succeeds and the ME Firmware is not 0000 or blank, great, you got it back. If not, then you are permanently bricked and your only options are to find a flash image or discard the board.

Sorry, but this is the reality of the situation,

...S

0 Kudos
MattVonGrimm
Novice

Mine is completely bricked, I'm selling the CPU and tossing the board.
I bought a used Gigabyte Q170M-C instead with a Core i5-6500, unfortunately it has a custom BIOS (from 2015) so I'm just going to have to risk an offical update from Gigabyte so I can run a Core i7-7700k.

Thanks for all your help Scott, I'm sorry for not reporting back sooner.

Matt.

0 Kudos