Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11689 Discussions

I recently bought an i9 9900k k. When I install it the computer turns on then immediately turns off. Could this be a compatibility issue with the motherboard? If so do I need a new motherboard?

JKhan17
Beginner

My i7 6700k works perfectly fine after re installing it. The motherboard I use is a standard Hp omen X motherboard.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Here are a couple of articles that present options, reviews and opinions:

The best motherboards will have the Z390 chipset. I would go with one of those even if you are not going to attempt any overclocking. If you are on a budget, choose a motherboard with the H370 chipset and avoid any with the B365 chipset (I am not a lover of the B chipsets). Even though some are compatible, I would not use any motherboard with an older generation chipset.

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Not only does the new processor require a new motherboard, it will also require new DDR4 memory.

...S

JKhan17
Beginner

Thanks, any recommendations on a good motherboard that fits the criteria?

n_scott_pearson

Here are a couple of articles that present options, reviews and opinions:

The best motherboards will have the Z390 chipset. I would go with one of those even if you are not going to attempt any overclocking. If you are on a budget, choose a motherboard with the H370 chipset and avoid any with the B365 chipset (I am not a lover of the B chipsets). Even though some are compatible, I would not use any motherboard with an older generation chipset.

...S

View solution in original post

JKhan17
Beginner

Thanks so much for the help, I was thinking of this motherboard. MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Motherboard mATX, LGA1151, DDR4, LAN, 802.11AC WIFI, USB 3.1 Gen2, Type-C, M.2, RGB Mystic Light, HDMI, Display Port, Intel 8th and 9th Gen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HSBF397/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WxhWEbJEGXC50.

Im pretty sure this would work although I am kind of a beginner at this. Thanks again