Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15508 Discussions

I would like to know about gcc 9.1.0 compilers compatibility with intel processors?

ibrahim665
Beginner

The matter is that I want use Linux From Scratch as a daily driver.

I have 7th gen Intel core i5 processor 7200U in my laptop whose code name is kabylake.

When compiling the last version of Linux From Scratch I used to pass CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=skylake" to the compiler because there was no kabylake support in the gcc compiler.

Now I am making the newer version of LFS for my system and I have switched over to gcc-9.1.0 compiler and expected that -march=kabylake support would be there.

When I did that the compiler reported

gcc -Wall -Winline -O2 -pipe -march=kabylake -g -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c blocksort.c

cc1: error: bad value ('kabylake') for '-march=' switch

cc1: note: valid arguments to '-march=' switch are: nocona core2 nehalem corei7 westmere sandybridge corei7-avx ivybridge core-avx-i haswell core-avx2 broadwell skylake skylake-avx512 cannonlake icelake-client icelake-server cascadelake bonnell atom silvermont slm goldmont goldmont-plus tremont knl knm x86-64 eden-x2 nano nano-1000 nano-2000 nano-3000 nano-x2 eden-x4 nano-x4 k8 k8-sse3 opteron opteron-sse3 athlon64 athlon64-sse3 athlon-fx amdfam10 barcelona bdver1 bdver2 bdver3 bdver4 znver1 znver2 btver1 btver2 native

But then I noticed there is canonlake listed above which is  10-nanometer die shrink of the Kaby Lake microarchitecture (ref wikipedia)

And My Question is

Can I pass -march=canonlake to gcc-9.1.0 compiler

Would my processor support the binaries or is there any better switch for my processor

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ibrahim665, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order to provide the most accurate response, please submit your inquiry in the Intel® Online Service Center:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-create-a-support-request-at-online-service-center

Or you can also post you question in out Intel® Developer Zone for further peer to peer assistance:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos