Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14726 Discussions

I7-4790 No signal to monitor

NT86
Beginner

Hi Intel Community, 

I have an old PC HP pavilion slimline 400-235d, motherboard IPM-87-MP that I want to upgrade the processor to I7-4790 for reuse.  The documentation on CPU compatibility upgrade is over here: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c04025756

This desktop is working well currently on i5. When I slot in I7-4790, the processor is able to power up and no special beeping coming from the desktop.   However, the GPU HDMI slot started failing, the USB to HDMI female adapter is not working. The main issue here is the Monitor does not detect any signals and returns a black screen. However, when I slot back my i5, the hdmi slot and signals to monitor is working. 

I understand there is a couple of issues on I7-4790 but I am clueless about it. Can the Intel community advise any resolution/analysis of the issue and perhaps guide me to the detailed resolution ? 

I have heard from CS guys that the processor is faulty. So seeking your opinions and if my $40 on the CPU is a goner. 

Thanks alot. 

nt86

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you update your bios?

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers/hp-pavilion-slimline-400-200-desktop-pc-series/model/6532671

If you do not know how, contact HP.

Beyond that, you have a discontinued processor.   Intel no longer supports this processor.

And, purchasing on the used market, you very well could have a bad processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
NT86
Beginner

Hi AlHill, 

thanks for the response.  Appreciate it. I tried updating the bios once successfully. however the hdmi slot is still not working, no signal to monitor.  Perhaps I didn't install the gforce 625 driver or maybe the gpu is not suitable with hp pavilion 400 -235D., I couldn't find the relevant driver software from the official Nvidia.  I am still hanging on to the idea that the CPU is not damage as CPU are rarely spoilt. there were no visible scratches or burn marks on the i1-4790. Let me know if you have any other resolution ideas. Thanks man. 

Have a great day ahead  

NT

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello NT86

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued".

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos