Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

I7 7700K - CPU % spikes to 99-100 when opening up task manager

PYoon1
Beginner

after opening up task manager my CPU spikes to 99-100% utilization. Also when opening a program or application, my CPU core temps spike to from ~ 30-32 Celsius to ~ 77-81 Celsius. Is this normal? Not sure why these spikes occurs. I also notice lag when I open a new program when I'm already running something ie watching a video on youtube and then opening another browser or playing a game and then opening the browser. Any ideas? I have not OC my PC.

I have the following -

Processor Model: i7 7700k 4.20GHZ

Motherboard Brand: Asus RoG

Motherboard Model: Maximus IX Hero Z270

BIOS Version: V0906

RAM Part Number: 2x8Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 DRAM 3000Mhz C15 Memory Kit

OS installed: Win10 Home

Video Card: Geforce GTX1080 FTW Hybrid

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello yoonsun,

Thank you for joining the Processors community.

I just wanted to let you know that Intel is currently investigating this behavior, at this stage the investigation is on going so no further details have been provided yet. Soon we will have some update that will be posted on the following thread; https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PYoon1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

The thread that you have updated doesn't seem to have a response or an update or a fix for my issue. The issue in the other thread is just temperature of the CPU. My CPU is actually spiking and it seems to have gotten only worse where randomly my computer would freeze, when opening applications or just streaming full screen on youtube.

If anybody could help with this that would be great.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /thread/112889 yoonsun,

The thread I pointed you to is very extensive, and this has been the selected method by Intel to let the customers know about this investigation. And, just to clarify the on going investigation is related to the sudden spiking temperatures and others behaviors with Kaby Lake processor. As soon as we have more information that thread will be updated.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos