Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15011 Discussions

I9-13900k, stable in daily use, games, etc. Crashes under benchmarks and stress tests

Glement
Beginner

Have been daily driving my system for 1 year, 
Only experienced crashes in 2 games (soft crashes, not bsod) - starfield on release, and crossout.
Also have a 2 games combo that usually bsods my system after 5 hours of them both running ( not always, sometimes they can run for 10 or more without bsod) - they are Escape From Tarkov and Black Desert Online, if i play them by themselves, nothing wrong. 

Those crashes in games i attribute to games being kinda bad coded. 

Lately i wanted to run some benchmarks and stuff to see how is my cpu doing. And i found out that my cpu does not pass any cpu intensive benchmark,
cinebench23 - either soft crash or bsod.
intel avx2 test - soft or bsod
prime95 - soft crash 

Looking on this forum i found out that some people had issues with 13900k, and the issue was that they had SVID on Auto, and the recommended solution was to put it into Intel Fail Safe

After having SVID on Intel Fail Safe -> i pass all the benchmarks, but i run hotter, and in prime 95 my P cores are at around 4.5 GHz, cinebench around 4.8 GHz and thermal throttling.

My question is - if under normal load i do not crash or experience any bugs - is it still safer to have SVID on Intel Fail Safe? 

Tests were made on Z790 Maximus Hero with default BIOS with following settings
MCE - disabled, enforce all limits
ABT - off
XMP - profile II or auto (stock clocks)
SVID - auto or intel fail safe

Memory - GSkill Trident Z5 2 sticks of 16 gb, 7200mhz cl34

NH-D15 from Noctua for cooling, with 2 fans
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal paste

my VIds with Intel Fail Safe
And temperatures running Black Desert Online 

Screenshot 2024-02-13 112452.pngScreenshot 2024-02-13 112332.png

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Glement
Beginner

I am waiting on intel in the email to answer me, they said 1.6v on VCore is ok and expected. 
But my avg temps went higher by like 20c when switching to SVID intel fail safe. 
So i am waiting on them to tell me every single setting that i need to change to Intel specification in z790 hero maximus motherboard. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Glement, 

Thank you for posting in the community and I noticed that you are waiting for our advice. I want to let you know that since you are using ASUS Z790 Maximus Hero we recommend to change the SVID Behavior to "Intel’s Fail Safe". Once you do, kindly reboot the OS and run XTU test. If the AVX2 test can pass, try to run the games that are experiencing crashes. You may download Intel XTU at this link in case you don't have it yet: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

I understand your concern in changing the SVID setting however, I can assure you that running with “Intel Fail Safe” is running either Intel default behavior or within specification. It is not increasing the voltage; it is setting the behavior back to what Intel’s specifications say it should be. This will not “burn out” the processor and will not impact CPU lifecycle. Our specifications are designed to allow the processor to run by design for the life of the processor. ASUS’ “Auto” setting for SVID is undervolting the processor.

By the way, I would like to welcome you both in the community and for engaging in active conversation. I appreciate that you are waiting on my advice. If in case the issue still persists after changing the SVID behavior feel free to reply to this thread. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Glement
Beginner

Hi, as i said it is working on intel fail safe, it passes avx2 test
I only want to know if svid is the only setting that needed to be changed from auto. because it increased my temps by 20C on average
Maybe there is some LLC setting or any other setting that is also expected to be set to intel specification.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Glement, 

Thank you for clarifying. As of the moment that should be the only thing you need to change. However i understand your concern about the temperature rise. Although the temperature is higher, as long as it does not exceed the maximum temperature for the I9-13900k, there should be no issues with your system. As for the thermal throttling that you mention, if you are running the stress test and experienced throttling, it should be normal. However, if you are only using it under normal load and it throttles, we need to further check the thermal solution or the cpu itself. On the screenshots that you have sent,  it seems like you are using a different  software.  I want to let you know that there is an indicator in the Intel XTU stress test that checks if thermal throttling occurs in the system. You may download it at these link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

Please post here the result so we can further check this for you. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
jonahhere
Beginner

If your Intel Core i9-13900K is stable in daily use and games but crashes under benchmarks and stress tests, check the following:

• Monitor CPU temperatures during stress tests; ensure cooling is adequate.
  • Adjust voltage settings cautiously; refer to CPU and motherboard documentation.
  • Update motherboard BIOS/UEFI for potential stability improvements.
  • Confirm stable memory settings; run RAM at default frequencies temporarily.
  • Check power supply unit (PSU) for sufficiency and reliability.
  • Review benchmark and stress test settings; use default or recommended configurations.
  • Keep device drivers, especially GPU drivers, up to date.
  • Consider potential hardware issues by testing individual components.
  • Consult hardware forums or communities for insights and solutions.
  • If the problem persists, contact Intel support or your motherboard manufacturer for assistance.
0 Kudos
Glement
Beginner

All of the above is up to date and tested, the problem is the cpu.
Mainly - when doing avx2 intensive tasks 
I am already shipping it to intel 
as i said, with intel failsafe - it pushes cpu to 1.6 vcore 
and running c23 makes it drop to 4.6-4.8 ghz with thermal throttle 
cooling is more than adequate - nh-d15 with 2 fans and a lot of airflow from the case itself 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Glement, 

Upon checking I noticed you already have created another case number for the replacement of the CPU. Since the CPU was confirmed defective, you may proceed on that case as well. For now, we will proceed in closing this thread. In case you need further assistance, feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos