14596 Discussions

I9 14900k help kernel error 41

Seanuk
New Contributor I
hardware:

cpu: intel i9 14900k
ram: gskill 7200 tried running xmp and xmp off still crashing
gpu: ASU’s 4090

I keep getting intermittent crashes and upon checking the error log it says pci express kernel error 41 can anyone direct me in the right direction? Also ran numerous benchmarks with xmp on and off and noticed that if I lower my p cores in xtu from x57 to x54 it tends to run the tests without crashing could it possibly be a bad cpu causing me issues?. Also when running cinebench r23 it was crashing. I have set the power limit to the recommended 253watt and it appears to be stable now could the cpu be causing my pci express errors?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Seanuk
New Contributor I
I actually found the a fox to the issue the memory reference error was due to a know bug in a windows update where if you leave your Xbox controller plugged in it gives you the error thanks for all your help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
SHAB
Beginner

This happened even with my 13900KS, either faulty CPU or just the architecture can't handle the power draw. Intel needs to focus on power efficiency instead of cranking more power in a CPU to gain 10% better performance.

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
What was your outcome how did you fix it?
0 Kudos
그래요ITech
New Contributor I

Hello, 

The PCI Express kernel error 41 is typically associated with issues related to your computer's hardware or power supply. It can indicate that the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. Common causes for this error include incorrect device drivers, especially outdated or corrupted ones, such as sound card drivers. It's also possible that the error is a result of hardware issues, like an inadequate power supply that can't handle the installed devices, or other faulty hardware components.

Here are some tips you can take to troubleshoot further:

1. Update Drivers and BIOS: Ensure all your drivers, especially the chipset and graphics drivers, are up to date. Also, check for any BIOS updates that might address stability issues 

2. Check Power Supply: Verify that your power supply unit (PSU) is providing stable power and that it has enough capacity to support your system's power demands

3. Memory Test: Run a memory test to rule out any issues with your RAM. Faulty RAM can cause various system crashes

4. CPU Stress Test: Conduct a stress test on your CPU at different power limits to see if the crashes are related to power delivery or thermal throttling

5. Monitor Temperatures: Keep an eye on the CPU temperatures to ensure it's not overheating, which could cause system instability

6. Check for Hardware Faults: If the issue persists, it might be a hardware problem. Consider testing the CPU in another compatible system to see if the issue follows the CPU

If you've already set the power limit to 253 watts and it appears stable, it's possible that the CPU was not stable at higher power draws, which could have been causing the PCI Express errors. Reducing the power limit can help maintain stability, but if you suspect a faulty CPU, you may want to contact the manufacturer for further support or consider a warranty claim. Remember to back up your data regularly to avoid loss in case of system crashes.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
I have tried it with 253 watt limits also with MCE Set to enforce all limits and it still does it it passes a ram test using memtest and karhu tam tester. One thing I have noticed I hear whea errors on Hwinfo when the power it set to unlimited(MCE REMOVE ALL LIMITS) and crashes on cinebench r15 but when power limit applied it passes the cinebench test. It black screens at idle also when not gaming and now it’s corrupted windows because on shutdown I get an unable to reference memory error. Fresh install of windows and all update drivers and most latest bios and still same anything else I could try?
0 Kudos
그래요ITech
New Contributor I

Thanks for reply Seanuk.

I see. Have you tried this article from Intel? How to fix kernel power error.

I have some solutions here; let's see if they effectively address the problem.

Well, WHEA (Windows Hardware Error Architecture) errors often indicate hardware issues, especially when overclocking or when the system is under heavy load. Since you've mentioned that these errors occur when MCE (Multi-Core Enhancement) is set to remove all limits, it suggests that your system may be unstable when pushing the hardware beyond its standard specifications. refer to this forum, Whea error bugs 

If your system crashes during Cinebench tests with unlimited power but passes when limits are applied, it could be due to the CPU being pushed too hard, causing instability. It's recommended to use less aggressive settings for overclocking and to ensure that your cooling solution is adequate. Black screens at idle can be caused by various issues, including driver problems, power settings, or even hardware faults. Ensure that your power settings are configured correctly, and consider running a stress test to check for stability issues

ABout the Memory Reference Errors on Shutdown: This error could be related to a program or process that's not closing properly, or it could be a sign of memory issues. Running a memory diagnostic tool can help determine if there are problems with your RAM. Additionally, ensure that all background applications are closed before shutting down to see if the error persists. Visit this link here.

Since you've already performed a fresh install of Windows, updated drivers, and flashed the latest BIOS, the next steps would be to:
• Check for BIOS updates that specifically address these issues.

• Run a memory diagnostic test to check for RAM errors.

• Monitor system temperatures to rule out overheating as a cause.

• Consider resetting BIOS settings to default to test system stability at stock settings.

Further Troubleshooting: If the issues persist, you might want to:
• Test with a different power supply to rule out power delivery issues.

• Test each RAM stick individually to isolate a faulty module.

• Check for any physical damage to the motherboard or other components.

Remember to make changes one at a time and test for stability after each adjustment. If you're not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, it may be best to seek assistance from a professional technician.

Cheers,

Max

(IT Solutions)

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Hi max thank you very much for getting back to me. I have already updated to the latest bios and when I done a fresh install of windows the memory reference issues went but because it’s crashed with the black screen a few times the message has now come back I have tried to repair this by doing a sfc scannow which stated it repaired some system files but the error message still occurs. I’ve also tested the ram and it passes the tests with karhu ram tester and memtest it’s also black screened on stock settings no overclocks MCE AND xmp disabled
0 Kudos
그래요ITech
New Contributor I

There you go Seanuk.

It seems you've taken several appropriate steps to resolve the memory reference error, including updating the BIOS, reinstalling Windows, and running sfc /scannow. However, the persistence of the black screen crashes and the error message suggests a more complex issue. At this moment, try to look for critical errors in the Windows Event Viewer that might point to the cause of the crashes and run a full hardware diagnostic using tools provided by your system manufacturer to check for any hardware issues. But seems strange, have you used the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to repair the Windows system image?

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to consult with a professional technician or contact your motherboard system manufacturer for more help. Remember to back up your data regularly to avoid data loss during troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Max

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Yes I have done that do you not think it could be a faulty cpu?
0 Kudos
그래요ITech
New Contributor I

Hello there Seanuk 
Considering the thorough diagnostic steps you've executed, such as employing the DISM tool and sfc /scannow, it's plausible to suspect a defective CPU. Faulty CPUs are known to trigger various issues, including memory reference errors and sudden system crashes. It appears that the CPU was indeed defective, and reaching out to Intel directly would be advisable. You can find the necessary contact information for Intel Customer Support, including phone numbers for different countries, on their official website. Additionally, you have the option to submit a warranty support ticket through Intel's support portal.

Cheers,

Max

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
I actually found the a fox to the issue the memory reference error was due to a know bug in a windows update where if you leave your Xbox controller plugged in it gives you the error thanks for all your help
0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Hi guys so my error has come back after weeks I am really stumped I have sent the motherboard back to supplier they tested that and power supply and found no faults and I have tested my gpu in a friends system and appears to be fine it can go off and issue a kernel error 41 but then power back on and work for hours could it be cpu related as stated I am running the cpu at intel reccomendated settings as per the i9 14999k spec power limits etc and MCE turned off
0 Kudos