Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Integrated Memory controller Issue

GGhal
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

Suddenly the 2 Dimm slots closest to the CPU stopped working ...computer doesn't start when filling them with working rams ... And when I fill 4Dimms with 2 GB rams Bios reads only 4 GB .. While windows read 8 but 4 GB usable !!)

I replaced my I7 CPU with old I3 and the issue disappeared right away all slots working windows and bios reads 8GB ... So I'm sure that the problem is with the I7 CPU memory Controller or the CPU has rusty pins !

Any advice !

CPU I7 860. -- I3 530

MB : Asus p7p55 elx

Rams : Kingston 2 DDR 3 1333 Bus

Windows : 10 64 bit

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like you have a bad i7 processor (bad memory controller). If you purchased this used, I would be returning it to seller and getting a refund.

...S

0 Kudos
GGhal
Beginner

I cleaned CPU pins with thinner and now it's working perfectly

Although I have another problem which is temp ... Idle temp is 50 ... Bios temp is 58 ... While gaming can reach 80~90 . room temp is about 30!

Sometimes system freezes while gaming due to overheating

PSU cable that deliver power to the CPU (4 pins one) got fried from heat and I replaced it with another one

Since the PSU have 2 of them (cooler master 525)

I'm using stock fan RPM is 2200

Double checked fan pins , changed thermal paste

Even with I3 CPU Bios temp is 55~60

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Don't worry about BIOS temperatures. The BIOS runs with all power management features turned off, only one core enabled and interrupts disabled. When it has nothing to do, it sits in a loop pulling for input. It is always going to be hotter than Windows/Linux idle temperatures. As for gaming, if the temperature is not going above 90c, then things are fine. If you want to lower temperatures across the board, you need third-party cooler; heat-pipe of liquid cooling based.

...S

0 Kudos
GGhal
Beginner

Will lowering my CPU volt or disable turbo boost or something like that will decrease the temp?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It certainly can, but at the cost of also lowering performance. In my mind, this isn't the right answer. The right answer is to fix the cooling issue. This can be done via selection of better cooling solution or improving the effectiveness of the existing solution (for example, replacing TIM (paste) and/or changing fan speed control parameters).

...S

0 Kudos