Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Intel Core i7 10700k running at 4.6 GHz instead of 3.8 GHz? Help!

Androsov94
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I switched from a 4th gen Intel processor to a 10th gen processor and I have no idea what is happening.

Here's what I don't understand:
- When I run windows (idle) and a heavy processes like rendering/gaming the CPU jumps to 4,6-4,8 GHz, although it's a 3.8 GHz processor. I didn't overclock anything. I assembled the PC and simply tested it out. Everything is brand new.
-I *think* that i7 10700k being advertised as a gaming processor is programmed by an algorithm by default to overclock to a safe speed so the gamers go "woooow power". Because when I went into power settings, and change highest CPU performance to 99% it clocked down to 2 GHz and now stays 2 GHz to 3 GHz when idle. (basically I undervolted)

I have never had an overclocking CPU, like I said, I made a big leap in performance 4th-10th gen. How harmful is this overclocking that the processor is doing? It's really running at 67 degrees C when it's at 4.6 GHz, so I guess...not at all? I really don't know. I also don't want the processor to burn in the next two years, I need my PC as a working station mainly, because I'm an animator. So far I think that everything above 3.8 GHz is super harmful, haha

My Specs:

MSI Tomahawk z490 (Motherboard)
intel i7 10700K 3.8GHz CPU
DDR 4 RAM 3200 Hz
RTX 3080 GPU

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LeonWaksman
Super User

This Intel Processor supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and Intel Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 

The Turbo Boost Technology is enabled by default in BIOS settings, so during heavy process the CPU frequency increases automatically.

Leon

0 Kudos